Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2001/06/14 19:38:48 UTC

Re: Automagic Announcement Generation

Berin,

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:16:40 -0400, Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> wrote:

> Please, be careful with the change log.  It is a good tool if
> maintained correctly.

I'm not sure if the changes.xml is the right place for this, but I
very much like the ChangeLog approach most of the GNU and open source
projects use. For each modification a developer makes in a file of the
project, he/she adds a description of the change in ChangeLog. The
description is usually nothing else than the CVS log message the
developer enter when he committed the file. This way one can get a
very quick idea of what has changed globally in the project, by just
looking at this file.

If you're using Emacs as the editor, you can set it up to
automatically add the CVS log message to the ChangeLog. I'm sure other
editors can be setup in a similar way. I will try to come up with a
mode for Emacs to automatically add the CVS log message to the
changes.xml file, similar with the way Emacs works for ChangeLog
today. Maybe others can do it for the editor they use as well.

Anyways, no matter how, the idea is to have the developers actively
use the changes.xml to log their modifications. Is this a correct
interpretation of your statement?

Ovidiu

Re: Automagic Announcement Generation

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Berin,
>
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:16:40 -0400, Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Please, be careful with the change log.  It is a good tool if
> > maintained correctly.
>
> I'm not sure if the changes.xml is the right place for this, but I
> very much like the ChangeLog approach most of the GNU and open source
> projects use. For each modification a developer makes in a file of the
> project, he/she adds a description of the change in ChangeLog. The
> description is usually nothing else than the CVS log message the
> developer enter when he committed the file. This way one can get a
> very quick idea of what has changed globally in the project, by just
> looking at this file.

I would imagine so.

> If you're using Emacs as the editor, you can set it up to
> automatically add the CVS log message to the ChangeLog. I'm sure other
> editors can be setup in a similar way. I will try to come up with a
> mode for Emacs to automatically add the CVS log message to the
> changes.xml file, similar with the way Emacs works for ChangeLog
> today. Maybe others can do it for the editor they use as well.

Even manual manipulation is good.  Some of the CVS log messages aren't
as good as what is put in the changes.xml file.

> Anyways, no matter how, the idea is to have the developers actively
> use the changes.xml to log their modifications. Is this a correct
> interpretation of your statement?

Yes.  AND to make sure the changes are located in the correct revision.