Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de> on 2004/11/18 13:48:39 UTC

Shale vs. Struts-Chain

Hi all,

I read the docs on subversion about Shale.
Well, a very interessting point.
However, I asked myself how it is related
to Struts/Commons - Chain. (The Proposal aka Jericho)

Has Struts Shale no relationship to (Struts/Commons)-Chain?

Seams that Chain is only for Struts 1.2 ?
or 1.3, which is based on Servlet2.2

And Shale, that will be on top of Servlet2.4,
will use Filter for CoR, isn't it?

Last but not least, the IoC (or dependency injection)
from Spring or Hivemind will be *included* into Struts / Shale?

Thanks for helping to clear my picture ;-)

Greetings,
Matthias
--
Matthias Weßendorf
Aechterhoek 18

Re: Release planning (was Re: Shale vs. Struts-Chain)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
At first, we were listing the ones that were going to held over to 1.3.x and leaving out the JavaServer Faces ones (that don't apply to the core).

I just finished adding the others, so that the tallies match (13 each as of now). There are four remaining that I'll try to resolve in the morning, which have my userid in the status column.

-Ted.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
+1 and I'll assist in knocking the remaining bugs down or anything else
necessary.

Don

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:52:51 -0400, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> [snip]
> I would be in favor of immediately branching at 1.2.6, regardless, so we can start on 1.3.x. If there are any straggling issues with the 1.2.x build, I'd be happy to cross-commit between the 1.2.x and 1.3.x branches. We've let 1.2.x block 1.3.x long enough, and it's time to "move on to bigger and better things".

+1

> -Ted.

Craig

Re: Release planning (was Re: Shale vs. Struts-Chain)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
If there has been no negative feedback on Commons Validator 1.1.4 by Monday
(2004-11-22) I was planning to call for a Vote to release it as "GA" quality
then.

I don't think we should vote on 1.2.5 since 1.2.6 is coming soon.

Niall

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
> Looking at http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsRelease126, is it true
> that we are just waiting for commons-validator 1.1.4 to be marked
> "GA"?

read in commons-dev that 1.1.4 is now alpha
and available for Testing

-Matthias

Re: Release planning (was Re: Shale vs. Struts-Chain)

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
  to include this in the last 1.2 release.

It does not have to be last 1.2, still could have 1.27 :-).

(and maybeeeeeee 1.3 should be called 1.4, just in case, it is a big
change).
.V

Re: Release planning (was Re: Shale vs. Struts-Chain)

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:03:48 -0500, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:56:02 -0800, Martin Cooper wrote:
> > Excellent! I will roll it today.
>
> The one thing might be a quick update of the release notes to catch us up. It should only be a couple of items. (I'd do it myself, but I'm juggling other responsibilities today.)

Yep, I just finished doing that, and will check in shortly.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:56:02 -0800, Martin Cooper wrote:
>�Excellent! I will roll it today.

The one thing might be a quick update of the release notes to catch us up. It should only be a couple of items. (I'd do it myself, but I'm juggling other responsibilities today.)

>�BTW, I saw that you checked in a fix for #31642, but it still shows
>�as open in Bugzilla.

Thanks, done.

-Ted.

Re: Release planning (was Re: Shale vs. Struts-Chain)

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
The issue is that Validator was missed out when message bundles was
implemented in Struts - I'd prefer we wait for Validator 1.1.4 and fix
#18169 and  #21760 and that hole will then be plugged in the 1.2.x series.

If we were carrying on in the 1.2.x series, then releasing 1.2.6 and leaving
them till next time would be fine by me - but since we're moving on to a 1.3
branch IMO it would be a good idea to include this in the last 1.2 release.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com

Re: Shale and Chain

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
MailReader/Chain is a work-in-progress, which I'll move over to our new Apps subproject as soon as 1.2.6 is ready to roll.  (First things first!)

Agility isn't an application, it's a whiteboard, and there isn't any code to build.

There will probably be more to add to the cookbook (chapter-chain.html) once Mailreader/Chain is complete.

-Ted.

Re: Shale and Chain

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.
Craig:

Re: Shale and Chain

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
<ba...@dbgroups.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I want to prototype commons-chain in shale. I saw 2 apps: agility and
> mailreader. I was able to build commons-chain.jar using ant. I modify
> maven project.xml of the 2 apps and run maven default successfully. But
> there is no war file of the above apps. Look like it has not done anything.

I didn't build that part of the commons-chain repository, so I'll have
to take a look ... it'll probably be over the weekend.

> Could someone show me how to build the 2 apps using commons-chain?
> Craig, do you have any preliminary instruction on the commons-chain in
> Shale?

Let's assume that you have defined the business logic for a particular
form submit as a chain named "foo" in the default catalog.  JSF will
call the action method for your submit button after validations have
been successful, and after all the model values have been updated into
your ViewController bean.  So, what you need to do for chain is build
up a Context object, and either include the ViewController bean itself
(so your business logic can pull stuff out, but that makes it
dependent on the ViewController APIs), or pass the data on in some
other fashion like a Map.  So, this is only one way to do it:

(1) Create a context to use:

    Context context = new FacesWebContext(FacesContext.getCurrentInstance());

(2) Pass in the input field values from your ViewController (this is
sorta cheating):

    context.put("viewController", this);

(3) Get an instance of the command and execute it:

    Command command = CatalogFactory.getInstance().getCommand("foo");
    command.execute(context);

(4) Pull out the logical outcome to be used for navigation and return it:
    (Assumes your business logic stored something under this attribute)

    String outcome = (String) context.get("outcome");
    return outcome;

For your business logic, you'll want to model it as either a single
Command, or as a Chain -- if you want to make the business logic
independent of web tier APIs you'd take the input context argument as
a Context and treat it like a Map to get and put stuff.
Alternatively, you can cast it to FacesWebContext if you wanted
typesafe access to all the extra attributes that defines.

To configure your catalog of available commands and chains, you can
use the org.apache.commons.chain.web.ChainListener class (a
ServletContextListener) to set everything up from XML descriptions,
although this is not required.  That's what my examples (and the one
in struts-chain) use.

> Thanks
>
> BaTien
> DBGROUPS

Craig

Re: Shale and Chain

Re: Shale vs. Struts-Chain

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
Miscellaneous comments inline.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:48:39 +0100, Matthias Wessendorf
<ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I read the docs on subversion about Shale.
> Well, a very interessting point.
> However, I asked myself how it is related
> to Struts/Commons - Chain. (The Proposal aka Jericho)
>
> Has Struts Shale no relationship to (Struts/Commons)-Chain?

There is no particular relationship between Shale and *Struts*-Chain,
which is designed to decompose the Struts 1.x request processor into
little pieces.  However, there is no reason you couldn't use *Commons*
Chain inside a Shale environment in several different ways:

* When using a Filter as the application controller, compose
  all the pre-request and post-request processing to be performed
  into chains, so that you only need to configure a single filter
  in your web.xml file.

* Have your action event handlers (for things like submit buttons)
  delegate to business logic that is expressed in a chain, rather
  than executing it directly.
  that is composed in a chain

> Seams that Chain is only for Struts 1.2 ?
> or 1.3, which is based on Servlet2.2

That's correct.

> And Shale, that will be on top of Servlet2.4,
> will use Filter for CoR, isn't it?

That is the proposal, yes -- although, as I remarked above, you can
implement CoR inside a filter, in addition to the ability to use more
than one Filter.  It remains to be seen which model is easier to
program to, and for users to configure.

> Last but not least, the IoC (or dependency injection)
> from Spring or Hivemind will be *included* into Struts / Shale?

I believe that developers using a modern framework will expect an IoC
solution to be included.  Interestingly, the managed beans APIs in JSF
provide "setter injection" IoC support already -- however, that may
not be sufficient for everyone's needs.

If the Shale core code itself was limited to just managed beans, then
we could support incorporation of pretty much any IoC architecture by
leveraging JSF's pluggability APIs.  For example, the Spring folks
have already built a JSF VariableResolver that allows the managed
beans facility to instantiate Spring beans transparently.  That's
pretty cool.

Applications, of course, could integrate directly with the IoC
framework if they wanted to.

> Thanks for helping to clear my picture ;-)
>
> Greetings,

Craig

Re: Shale vs. Struts-Chain

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:48:39 +0100, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> Has Struts Shale no relationship to (Struts/Commons)-Chain?

Technically, there only relationship between Struts and Shale is that they are both standards-based web application frameworks originated by Craig McClanahan :)

I saw your post to the MyFaces list regarding Shale, Matthais, and it will be interesting to see how the MyFaces community responds.

Given that Apache MyFaces now hosts generic JSF components, like JSF Tiles, an obvious question is  whether Shale would be a better fit as a MyFaces subproject.

-Ted.