Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com> on 2001/09/17 09:50:49 UTC

Tomcat + gcj

This is just an FYI...

I recently got Tomcat working on Linux with gcj (a free native code
compiler and runtime for the java programming language).  Tomcat, and
all of the support libraries (xalan, servletapi) are compiled to
native executables and shared libraries which run without any
supplementary JRE.  Servlets are compiled to native shared libraries
like so..

$ gcj -shared -o lib-HelloWorldExample.so -O2 HelloWorldExample.java

..and they get loaded and executed as expected.

I'm able to run most of the example servlets, as well as some
servlet's using xalan - but there are still a few bugs that need to be
ironed out.  JSP doesn't work out of the box.  I haven't looked into
it yet.

I've placed everything up for cvs access here:

     http://sources.redhat.com/rhug

It will take a bit of debugging to get it all working perfectly.  I'd
appreciate help if anyone is inclined... just subscribe to the mailing
list and have at it.

Thanks!

AG