Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2013/10/04 18:23:17 UTC

Proton cmake PerlLibs Not Found Ubuntu 11.10

Hey all,
I've just started tentatively looking into Proton/AMQP 1.0 'cause it's
got to be done really hasn't it :-)

I had a couple of minor issues in the early stages of running cmake.

First issue:
Locations of Bouncycastle 1.47 jars: BOUNCYCASTLE_BCPROV_JAR-NOTFOUND
BOUNCYCASTLE_BCPKIX_JAR-NOTFOUND

This was a little harder than you'd think to sort out 'cause
bouncycastle is now at version 1.49 and there's no obvious link off
their webpage (the ftp link that allegedly points to past releases
appears to be broken).

Is it worth updating the dependency to the latest bouncycastle - or
alternatively bundling the jars with proton?

I dug around on t'Interweb and /eventually/ found the 1.47 jars, but as
I say it was harder than it should be :-)

Second issue (my system is running Ubuntu 11.10):
when I did a simple mkdir bld/cd bld/cmake .. I got a "PerlLibs Not
Found" error

It was easy enough to work around by doing:
cmake .. -DPERL_LIBRARY=`locate -n 1 libperl.so`

Not that I'm especially likely to use Perl, but it'd be nice if it was
cleaner.

ISTR that Jimmy Jones had similar issues with qpid cmake for Perl,
though I can't say for sure if they are related.

Is this known about or is it worth me raising a Jira (or two?)
Cheers,
Frase

Re: Proton cmake PerlLibs Not Found Ubuntu 11.10

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 07:15:04PM +0100, Fraser Adams wrote:
> Thanks Darryl,
>
> Re: Do you see the output "Trying alternative search for Perl" in your Cmake
> output? yes I did.
>
> Ubuntu 11.10 is indeed fairly old to be fair, I probably should
> upgrade but it always takes me an age to get my system back how I
> like it and every time I upgrade I find someone has messed around
> with the UI and I can't find where anything is :-)

It looks like the issue is very specific to Ubuntu's patched Cmake
2.8.5. I'm working with some guys from Cmake online and the pure 2.8.5
release doesn't exhibit the problem [1].

> So I'm not sure if it's still present on later Ubuntu versions - I'm
> pretty sure Rob Godfrey runs Ubuntu 12.something so he might know.

I'll try updating my VM to 12.04 and see if the problem still exists. If
so, I'll file a bug with them regarding it. Otherwise, I'll kick it back
and WONTFIX.

[1] The bottom line is this: Ubuntu 11.10 patched CMake 2.8.5 cannot
find a library file that doesn't end in .so; i.e., Perl says it's
library name is "libperl.so.5.14.2" on Ubuntu 11.10, but Cmake can't
find that. If I hard code the filename to be "libperl.so" then it finds
the file each time.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Re: Proton cmake PerlLibs Not Found Ubuntu 11.10

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Thanks Darryl,

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.