Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Sergey Lysenkov <ly...@silvertreesystems.com> on 2016/04/14 14:10:29 UTC

Sub-addressing support in JAMES

Hello All,

Our team successfuly used James mail server for a project untile we've got
a requirement to support sub-addressing. It turned out that James does not
support a tag appended to the local part of email address (ex:
joeuser+tag@example.com). RFC 5233, refers to this convention as
sub-addressing, but it is also known as plus addressing or tagged
addressing. To resolve this issue our team have developed
'SubAddressingValidRcptHandler' which extends from
'org.apache.james.smtpserver.fastfail.ValidRcptHandler' class. Also to find
the right addressee by email address with sub-addressing we have developed
matcher 'SubAddressingMatcher'.

I do not know if you have plans to implement the sub-addressing support. I
can send you our code for review and will be happy if our changes save time
for other developers who faced with the same issue as we had.

Please let me know if that makes sense and which way I can send the code
for review.

Thank you,
Sergey Lysenkov

Re: Sub-addressing support in JAMES

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.
Hi,

On 04/29/2016 04:06 AM, Benoit Tellier wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> I had a look in the patch. I would rather modify the MailAddress object
> to handle tag.
>
> Why ?
>
>   - With your solution, the information about the tag is lost after the
> mailet processing.
+1
>   - My mail server will only be able to handle mail Address tags if I
> configured the mailet and your handler.
Do you think it's a bad thing ?

> I would rather see a MailAddress object that extract the tag from the
> mail. Equality and other operations will not include the tag (achieving
> what you want) granting us this functionnality in a reusable fashion,
> and implemented in an object oriented way.
MailAddress can keep the tag stuff but what you suggest about hiding the
tag from equality and other operation looks like a bad idea.

foo+bar@apache.org and foo+other@apache.org are definitely not equals
and saying something else involve putting a business decision into
MailAddress that belongs to another component.
--
Matthieu Baechler

Re: Sub-addressing support in JAMES

Posted by Sergey Lysenkov <ly...@silvertreesystems.com>.
 Hello Tellier,

Thank you for your solutions and notes.

I will study the MailAddress object and try to modify it to support email
subaddressing.
It will take me some time to implement the changes. I plan to have them
done in the middle of May.

Thank you,
Sergey

Posted by Sergey Lysenkov <ly...@silvertreesystems.com>.
Hello all,
Finally was I able to build and test package with my changes to support
Subaddress.
Patch is attached. Can you please review the changes? Any comments and
advices are highly appreciated.

Posted by Sergey Lysenkov <ly...@silvertreesystems.com>.
Hello all,

Posted by Benoit Tellier <be...@minet.net>.
I think you can't deny MailAddress represent the same concept in both
mailet and protocols/smtp .

Thus, it seems logical to have one object to represent it.

I agree the way I proposed to share this code might not be optimal.
Maybe some common dependency might be better.

Note : MailetMailAddressAdapter converts
org.apache.james.protocols.smtp.MailAddress into
org.apache.mailet.MailAddress. Both  MailAddress classes are copied and
paste from one another and have started to diverge. One is tested not
the other.

Le 02/05/2016  16:22, Matthieu Baechler a crit :

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <mb...@linagora.com>.

Posted by Benoit Tellier <be...@minet.net>.

Posted by Benoit Tellier <bt...@linagora.com>.
Hi Sergey,