Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eric R Medley <em...@xylocore.com> on 2015/04/01 16:13:26 UTC

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Amlan,

Can you provide information on how much data is being written? Are any of the columns really large? Are any writes succeeding or are all timing out?

Regards,

Eric R Medley

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by Amlan Roy <am...@cleartrip.com>.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. Some columns are big but I see the issue even when I stop storing the big columns. Some of the writes are timing out, not all. Where can I find the number of writes to Cassandra?

Regards,
Amlan

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.
To the poster, I am sorry to have taken this off topic. Looking forward to
your reply regarding your default heap size, frequency of hard garbage
collection, etc. In any case I am not convinced that heap size/garbage
collection is a root cause of your issue, but it has been so frequently a
problem that I tend to ask that question early on.

Jon, thank you for pointing that out to those who are 100% convinced large
heaps are an anti-pattern that this is not necessarily an anti-pattern ...
I am well aware of that interesting thread, and find it provides a clear
guidance that in most cases, large heaps are an anti-pattern ... except in
fairly rare use cases, only after extensive analysis, and several
iterations of tuning. FYI, I have (both in Hadoop and Cassandra) created
specialized clusters with carefully monitored row sizes and schemas to
leverage the read-mostly options of large heaps.

My experiences may be a corner case, as I tend to work with clusters that
have been up for a while, and sort of grew sideways from the original
expecations.

The analysis is clear that, under certain specific conditions, with
extensive tuning, it just might be possible to run with very large heaps.
But thanks for pointing this out as there is a LOT of information included
there that can help us to deal with certain corner cases where it IS
possible to productively run larger heaps, and the implied anti-patterns.

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Frequent timeout issues

From:"Amlan Roy" <am...@cleartrip.com>
Date:Wed, 1 Apr, 2015 at 9:27 pm
Subject:Re: Frequent timeout issues

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by Amlan Roy <am...@cleartrip.com>.

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by Eric R Medley <em...@xylocore.com>.

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by Eric R Medley <em...@xylocore.com>.
Are HBase and Cassandra running on the same servers? Are the writes to each of these databases happening at the same time?

Regards,

Eric R Medley

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Amlan Roy <am...@cleartrip.com> wrote:

> Replication factor is 2.

It is relatively unusual for people to use a replication factor of 2, for
what it's worth.

=Rob

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by Amlan Roy <am...@cleartrip.com>.
Using the datastax driver without batch.
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/developer/java-driver/2.1/java-driver/whatsNew2.html

Re: Frequent timeout issues

Posted by Brian O'Neill <bo...@alumni.brown.edu>.

215.588.6024 Mobile € @boneill42 <http://www.twitter.com/boneill42>

This information transmitted in this email message is for the intended
recipient only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If
you received this email in error and are not the intended recipient, or the
person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please contact
the sender at the email above and delete this email and any attachments and
destroy any copies thereof. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
copying or other use of, or taking any action in reliance upon, this
strictly prohibited.

From:  Amlan Roy <am...@cleartrip.com>
Date:  Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 11:37 AM
To:  <us...@cassandra.apache.org>