Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Andy Armstrong <an...@apache.org> on 2005/10/12 02:59:21 UTC

Should exist: mod_log_dbus?

(Apologies for posting here and on the modules list - it just occured
to me that this might be a better place)

I'm playing around with log analysis at the moment - particularly
real time analysis. Currently I just pipe logs through a Perl script
that does the actual analysis. I'd quite like to be able to have
multiple filters analysing the incoming log entries at the same time.
I can of course do that just by building a pipeline of filters - but
it starts to get messy.

So, I was looking at d-bus [1] and thinking how convenient it would
be if I had a d-bus based logging module. Then I could just write
filters that subscribed to the log messages. I could easily add,
remove and restart filters without touching Apache.

I'm prepared to do some work on such a module but I don't want to do
it if there's some obvious alternative I'm missing. Is this something
that might be useful? Is there something out there already that I've
missed?

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

Re: Should exist: mod_log_dbus?

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@apache.org>.
On 12 Oct 2005, at 14:54, Brian Akins wrote:
>> I'm prepared to do some work on such a module but I don't want to
>> do it if there's some obvious alternative I'm missing. Is this
>> something that might be useful? Is there something out there
>> already that I've missed?
>
> This may not be the most appropriate place to discuss it, but I am
> willing to help do some work as well.  From the quick overview of
> dbus I just read, it doesn't look too complicated to do.

I've been pointed in the direction of mod_log_spread which appears to
do the same thing. My Google-fu is clearly weak - I didn't spot it :)

So I'm going to investigate that - and if it doesn't do what I think
it should I'll either patch that (and submit the patches of course)
or do mod_log_dbus - if I do I'll give you a shout. Thanks for the
offer of help :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

Re: Should exist: mod_log_dbus?

Posted by Ondrej Sury <on...@sury.org>.
On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 09:54 -0400, Brian Akins wrote:
> Andy Armstrong wrote:
>
> > I'm prepared to do some work on such a module but I don't want to do
> > it if there's some obvious alternative I'm missing. Is this something
> > that might be useful? Is there something out there already that I've
> > missed?
>
> This may not be the most appropriate place to discuss it, but I am
> willing to help do some work as well.  From the quick overview of dbus I
> just read, it doesn't look too complicated to do.

Hi Brian,

I think this is another good example where one could use of your
mod_log_config with providers patch.  It should be fairy easy to write
provider for something like dbus.

Ondrej.
--
Ondrej Sury <on...@sury.org>

Re: Should exist: mod_log_dbus?

Posted by Brian Akins <br...@turner.com>.
Andy Armstrong wrote:

> I'm prepared to do some work on such a module but I don't want to do
> it if there's some obvious alternative I'm missing. Is this something
> that might be useful? Is there something out there already that I've
> missed?

This may not be the most appropriate place to discuss it, but I am
willing to help do some work as well.  From the quick overview of dbus I
just read, it doesn't look too complicated to do.

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer
CNN Internet Technologies