Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Randy Layman <ra...@aswethink.com> on 2001/08/13 14:25:42 UTC

RE: Growing Memory

	You could try one of the profiling tools out there (we use a very
old version of OptimizeIt) to spot where the memory is going and how it got
there.

	A few things that could be your problem, though:
	1. You are putting very large objects into sessions and your
sessions have long or no expiration times
	2.  You have an object with a static variable that you keep adding
to (map, list, set, etc) and aren't ever clearing
	3.  You have some form of buffered IO where the buffer isn't being
flushed.

	Realize that these are the end causes of your memory leak.  You
might be using some library (like JDBC drivers) that could cause one or more
of these issues if they are miss configured.  If its possible, I would
suggest that you try using your servlets one at a time and spot which
servlet is causing the memory to go up.

	Randy

RE: Growing Memory

Posted by Scott Weaver <sw...@wirelesstelematics.com>.
Thanks for the info.

I am using the JDBC driver in my servlets (jdbc:odbc:driver={SQL SERVER}).
This might be where my problem is.

What is the problem with this driver and is there a work around?
... or should I say, What is a common miss configuration?
Do you know where I can see a correct configuration or do you have an
example?

Thanks again,
Scott