Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/31 16:23:42 UTC

Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Hi,

  I want to introduce a new framework and I’m a bit
afraid of it. There are so many Java frameworks
announced these days that personally I’m tired of all
this. So, please be kind to this post :). Thank you.

  We have developed a new MyFaces-based application
framework called “Rumba.” It is not a silver bullet or
“the best framework that will make you 10x
productive.” Rumba has a clear focus – it is an
application framework that builds a reusable
Controller that should seamlessly integrate web
framework (MyFaces) and persistence framework
(currently Hibernate).

  Key Rumba concepts:
- Objects can be passed between web pages as simple
request attributes
- Page controls can be directly bound to an object
model
- Transparent persistence
- Slick configuration

You can read more on Rumba website:
http://www.rumbaframework.org. We have made a brief
tutorial to get started easily.

What do you think? Does the idea make sense to you?
Have we missed anything important?

Thank you very much for feedback :)

http://mail.yahoo.com

non-existent clear_myFormName() javascript method being called on button submit

Posted by Murray Brandon <mu...@hotmagna.com>.
Looking at the source of HtmlFormRendererBase it conditionally defines
the javascript for clear_myFormNameHere( ), but HtmlButtonRendererBase
always adds the call to the method onClick= regardless.  So I get a
javascript error on my page when I click on a commandButton saying that
clear_appform is not defined.

            <h:commandButton id="ue10" type="submit" value="Submit"
actionListener="#{mob.selectedUser.processAction}" immediate="true">
                <f:param id="ue11" name="command" value="save"/>
                <f:param id="ue12" name="rule" value="editedUserSaved"/>
            </h:commandButton>

Have I missed something?

HtmlFormRendererBase.java
        //render hidden command inputs
        Set set =
(Set)component.getAttributes().get(HIDDEN_COMMAND_INPUTS_SET_ATTR);
        if (set != null && !set.isEmpty())
        {
            HtmlRendererUtils.renderHiddenCommandFormParams(writer, set);

            String target;
            if (component instanceof HtmlForm)
            {
                target = ((HtmlForm)component).getTarget();
            }
            else
            {
                target =
(String)component.getAttributes().get(HTML.TARGET_ATTR);
            }

HtmlRendererUtils.renderClearHiddenCommandFormParamsFunction(writer,

component.getClientId(facesContext),

set,

target);
        }

And HtmlButtonRendererBase.java

        //call the clear_<formName> method

onClick.append(HtmlRendererUtils.getClearHiddenCommandFormParamsFunctionName(formName)).append("();");

Regards, Murray

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.
> One thing though: it's not always enough to store
> only the object's id:
>
> imagine the case of the collapsible panel, or a
> server side switched
> tabbed panel, where the full information is not
> always wrapped in the
> http-request. For these cases, you'll need to
> provide a possibility to
> save data in between requests without using the
> database directly or
> the HTTP parameters. What is your position on this?

Do you mean that the object cannot be stored in the
database for several consequent HTTP requests? Is it
similar to "wizard-problem" where I have to develop
several steps that modify an object and store it only
after the last step has succeded?

If so then it indeed cannot be solved in a way I
described. We have developed an approach to handle
such situations but it currently suffers from thread
safety problems. We have a notion of "copy" - instance
of a persistent object that is detached from a
database. It is modified but not synchronized with db
until explicitely persisted. We have to store it
inside HTTP session of course. We are planning to
return to this feature right after Rumba release.

Regards,
  Alexey

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
One thing though: it's not always enough to store only the object's id:

imagine the case of the collapsible panel, or a server side switched
tabbed panel, where the full information is not always wrapped in the
http-request. For these cases, you'll need to provide a possibility to
save data in between requests without using the database directly or
the HTTP parameters. What is your position on this?

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>A developer can get LazyInitializationException only
>if he/she keeps a reference to the persistent object,
>for instance storing it in HTTP session. We have
>provided a simple and convenient abstraction -
>ObjectProxy - that may be used to have a persistent
>object reference that is always valid.

Actually this is what I was looking for, spring also has a filter to apply
the session per request pattern but the main problem is as you mentioned,
keeping the reference in the http session causes lazy initialization errors.
There are solutions for this like aspects, session merge, session lock but
all of these are hard to apply. It is great if Rumba takes care of it simply
using ObjectProxy.

Regards,

Cagatay Civici,

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.
> Hi,
>
> Instead of using different frameworks and wiring
> them manually, using a
> framework like rumba should make things easier for
> the production. Reminded
> me ruby a little bit. Nice work!

Thanx a lot :). Rumba tries to combine best of both
worlds - being scalable up to huge projects from Java
and productivity from Rails.

> Haven't read the thread in detail but have a
> question, how is Rumba's
> support for lazy objects? How does it take care of
> the lazy initialization
> exceptions?

We always ensure that all the persistent objects are
always associated with active Hibernate Session. If so
, no LazyInitializationException is possible.

Effectively this is a Session-per-Request pattern from
"Hibernate in Action". Both page rendering and
postback processing work within the scope of active
Session. Thus, any Rumba action can work with lazy
objects because there's active Session running in the
background. Rumba does not store object instances
between request. Instead it always reloads persistent
objects using the active Session.

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.
> > All I would love to see on top of this one, is an
> implementation using
> > javax.persistence ;-)
> >

> Uups I just saw it already utilizes the
> javax.persistence api.

We have planned to support both EJB3 and Hibernate
from the very beginning. Currently your code can be
Hibernate-independent allowing easy switching to EJB3.
Inside we have an abstraction layer that is testable
and can be extended to support EJB3. It is one of the
major features that will be available in the next
stable release after 1st. Now we would like to focus
on stability/bugfixes/performance/documentation.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.
> customize
> >> Sorry, missing the point... Maybe you could give
> me an
> >> example of what you wanted to accomplish?
> >>

> > If I understood the framework right, you define
> new
> > expression-language statements which have a
> special meaning. E.g.,
> > create a new object. There might be cases where
> just calling the
> > constructor is not enough - and I want to
> interfere with the creation
> > process. Same, and probably even more necessary on
> save. Do you define
> > and make available such hooks?
> >

> Well the way I see it, this framework can cover 70%
> of all simple crud
> usecases.
> Ok we do not have the clear bo/dao pattern here, but
> for simple apps amd
> normal crud forms you do not need that, the same
> goes for special
> creation code.

Yes, I completely agree.

We do not try to cover everything with Rumba - I do
not think it is possible/viable. But we want to
simplify typical activities while allowing a developer
to use plain Java coding for all the advanced tasks.
We do not hide the power of JSF and Hibernate in any
case building a higher level abstraction on top.

> This is a clear contestor for making it very simple,
> especially since it
> also seems to be able to cope with scoping via bean
> pushing over
> parameters and it does not seem to be the
> configuration hell seam is.

Thank you :)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.
> > > You don't show in your tutorials how to
> customize
> > > the action methods
> > > if need be, though.
> >
> > Sorry, missing the point... Maybe you could give
> me an
> > example of what you wanted to accomplish?
> >

> If I understood the framework right, you define new
> expression-language statements which have a special
> meaning. E.g.,
> create a new object. There might be cases where just
> calling the
> constructor is not enough - and I want to interfere
> with the creation
> process. Same, and probably even more necessary on
> save. Do you define
> and make available such hooks?

Seems I got it :).

Sure, you can call any Java methods everywhere in
Rumba expressions. For instance, if you need some
non-trivial object instantiation, you can provide a
method that creates and returns the new instance (like
#{factory.createUser(name, password)}). In the same
way you can do everything on <h:commandButton> click
befor e, after or instead using built-in expressions.

Essentially this is a common way of Java development.

You are right, we should write some more on the topic
possibly showing examples of doing this kind of stuff.

Regards,
  Alexey

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.
Mario,

  Thank you for a valuable information. I completely
agree with you. We are aware of the issues you
describe. I did not want to write about it to avoid
making things too complex :). Currently Rumba does not
support object versioning, it is planned and we'll add
versioning support soon.

Regards,
  Alexey

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry, pressed the wrong button - "Send" instead of
"Save" :)

We will provide API for developers to support custom
type passing via a request as a string. We already
have to do it for JodaTime ourselves. I expect this
feature in one of the next builds.

Werner, Martin and all the MyFaces developers, I'd
like to thank you for such a great framework! Web
framework choice was a tough decision and MyFaces came
out as a clear winner due to component orientation and
 outstanding extensibility.

Regards,
  Alexey

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Rumba - MyFaces-based application framework

Posted by Alexey Maslov <al...@yahoo.com>.
wrote:

> I really like the idea. It shows that with JSF and
> Hibernate, you can
> start reduce boilerplate code to the max. What is
> left to do is
> defining the design, and that's it.

Thank you. We were tired of writing boring code over
and over again. And JSF+Hibernate seemed like a
killing combo :)

> You don't show in your tutorials how to customize
> the action methods
> if need be, though.

Sorry, missing the point... Maybe you could give me an
example of what you wanted to accomplish?

> How are you handling hibernate sessions and state
> saving with the framework?

Each request always have a new Hibernate session
associated. All the Hibernate-related logic is
performed only inside this session. We tried a lot of
various approaches for Hibernate integration and have
found out that the best way (and the simplest one) was
to never store references to persistent objects
keeping their IDs instead. Having the ID we always can
reload the object in the current session. The same is
true for objects stored in the HTTP session (for
instance, ShoppingCart).

Many current approaches to state saving favor HTTP
session over request. But writing applications we try
to avoid storing data in HTTP session due to many
issues that arise in this case. I won't get into
details here because I'm sure every developer is
perfectly aware of them.

To pass an object via a request we must be able to
assosiate the object with a string ID that can be used
to restore the object on a target page. This is pretty
easy for many built-in types (numbers, strings, dates
etc). Such an approach can be easily extended any
object assuming that there's a unique ID representing
the object. For instance, persistent objects can be
represented as Object Type + Hibernate ID. If the
objec t is not supported by Rumba we have to resort to

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Alxeij great...