Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2017/09/19 08:18:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Begin the process for bringing in Mifos I/O as Apache Fineract CN

Hey all,

I'd like to begin discussion to bring Mifos I/O in to the Fineract
project as Apache Fineract CN.  I propose the following process to get
us there.  Note that this is a discussion thread.  I will send a
voting thread once discussion has died down.

A.) Discuss and vote to accept the code into the Fineract project and
begin the Apache processes. We should not proceed beyond this point
until at least 2/3 of the Committers have voted. My preference is that
we reach 100%.
B.) Go through the IP clearance process (1) for that code via the
Incubator. This will probably require at least:
   a.) A software grant from the Mifos Initiative
   b.) A CLA from Kuelap
   c.) An iCLAs from Mark van Veen, Nina Delvos, and Riana Allen.
   d.) A thorough check through of the code to make sure those of us
working on it haven't missed any licensing issues.
C.) Discuss the necessary infrastructure for the code, and place the
corresponding requests with the INFRA team. This will at least include
JIRA, and github.
D.) Move the code and rename the packages from Mifos to Fineract.
E.) After migrating the code resolve any release-blockers which might remain.
F.) Go through the final QA/Release process for the new code base.
Release under the name Fineract CN to disambiguate from the current
Fineract code base.
G.) Announce and document.
H.) goto E.

I am *not* proposing that we stop development on the existing Fineract
code base.  That is a decision for each individual contributor to
make, and it's not a decision that needs to be made at this time.

This will be a long process. It may be late October before we are even
at C.  Please be patient once we get going.

Do you see anything that I've missed? Do you have any concerns?

Best Regards,
Myrle Krantz
Individual Contributor, Apache Fineract

1.) http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

Re: [DISCUSS] Begin the process for bringing in Mifos I/O as Apache Fineract CN

Posted by Ashok Auty <as...@confluxtechnologies.com>.
Hi Ed,

Do we have a demo instance setup for generation 3? If not, can it be done?

I am hearing of the generation 3 from long time (approximately from two
years if I am not wrong) but don't have an opportunity to take a first look
of the product.

I as a business user feel like completely left out of this project without
the demo access.

Is Generation 3 a Mifos initiative funded project?

Regards,
Ashok Auty

Sent from mobile device

On Sep 26, 2017 10:47 PM, "Ed Cable" <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:

Myrle,

I myself apologize that I hadn't replied or acknowledged your email. I
thank you for taking that step and documenting all that needs to be done.

I do wish there would have been some discussion but I do think the last
thread we had was sufficient discussion and interest and enthusiasm and
that we could call for a vote amongst the committers. There was a lot to
absorb in the email and I think once we have the vote and software
clearance process underway, we could start separate threads and align
individuals in separate working groups to tackle some of the remaining
items C through H.

I foresee no obstacles in the software grant process from the Mifos side. I
will get approval from my board but they are all in favor so no issues
there.

Ed

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative

Re: [DISCUSS] Begin the process for bringing in Mifos I/O as Apache Fineract CN

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Ippez Robert <ip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the future
> there needs to be optimisation for resources usage specially for those
> going to host locally.

Definitely.  Right now each service is started via spring boot in its
own process.  Doing it this way is how we got the whole thing working
with Eureka, but the resource-intensiveness of this approach causes
problems. It is not just a problem for developers, it is a stumbling
block for QA as well.  It makes manual QA of branches near impossible,
and, even if you have a computer with sufficient resources it makes
integration testing very slow.  This has forced us to neglect
integration testing.

In short, it needs to change, and I welcome any assistance in changing
it.  It's probably good enough if we can start all the services in the
same process for the demo server and the integration tests.  I'd even
be willing to sacrifice the coverage of service discovery via Eureka
in the tests for this, though I would *prefer* a solution which still
checks that the whole landscape works with Eureka.

Best Regards,
Myrle

Posted by Ippez Robert <ip...@gmail.com>.
I was able to interact with it... trying to understand the functionality
though....

Thanks for the demo because setting local instance is a challenge
especially for computers using HDD as compared to SSD.  For the future

Posted by Markus Geiss <ma...@kuelap.io>.
Hey Mohit,

Posted by Mohit Bajoria <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Yannick,

Posted by Markus Geiss <ma...@kuelap.io>.
Yannick is right. (;

Posted by Awasum Yannick <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hello Nayan,

Posted by Nayan Ambali <na...@rupie.co>.
Hello Markus,

Posted by Markus Geiss <ma...@kuelap.io>.
Hey all,

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Ed, Ashok, (and Markus)

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Myrle,

See my reply inline.

> > I do wish there would have been some discussion
>
> This is a discuss thread, and it can continue as long as discussion is
> needed.  What questions do we still need to cover?

I think the previous presentations, whitepapers, and the recent wiki pages
you've put up describing the project structure help to nicely articulate
the technical benefits and rationale for the new architecture.

I do agree with Ashok's concerns to an extent that for business users, it
would be worthwhile to see a demo site to understand where Apache Fineract
CN is currently at and it will also help to show the vision of where it's
going for the future. I don't fully agree though that access to a demo site
should be the most telling decision factor as it will only be when we get
the new codebase into Apache that we can really scale it's breadth and
demonstrate its potential.

All that being said, I know that Rajan had a playground/demo site that he
was testing on for GSOC. Can we share this demo instance with the broader
community so they could have a sense of where the Apache Fineract CN is at
functionally?

To conclude though, I believe that amongst our committers and PMC, they've
been sufficiently educated and updated that we could call a vote and if
they've not raised any questions or concerns to please do so now.

Ed

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey Ed,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 7:16 PM, Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:
> I myself apologize that I hadn't replied or acknowledged your email. I
> thank you for taking that step and documenting all that needs to be done.

NP, we've all had a lot to do.

> I do wish there would have been some discussion

This is a discuss thread, and it can continue as long as discussion is
needed.  What questions do we still need to cover?

> I foresee no obstacles in the software grant process from the Mifos side. I
> will get approval from my board but they are all in favor so no issues
> there.

That's good news.

Best Regards,
Myrle

Re: [DISCUSS] Begin the process for bringing in Mifos I/O as Apache Fineract CN

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Myrle,

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey all,

I believe we are finished with this discussion.

As the next step, I'm going to start the vote.  I will close the vote
after 72 hours or 2/3 of committers have voted (whichever comes
later).  When I call the vote I will individually list +1's, 0's,
-1's, and abstentions.

Best Regards,
Myrle
Committer, Apache Fineract