Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Stephan Schwab <sn...@caimito.net> on 2010/07/22 19:12:30 UTC

Solr on iPad?

Dear Solr community,

does anyone know whether it may be possible or has already been done to
bring Solr to the Apple iPad so that applications may use a local search
engine?

Greetings,
Stephan

Re: Solr on iPad?

Posted by mbklein <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephan,

On a lark, I hacked up solr running under a small-footprint servlet engine
on my jailbroken iPad. You can see the console here: http://imgur.com/tHRh3

It's not a particularly practical solution, though, since Apple would never
approve a Java-based app for the App Store. Or a background service, for
that matter. So it would only ever run on a jailbroken iPad. Even if you're
willing to live with that, keeping the process running in the background all
the time would have a devastating impact on battery life.

Michael

Re: Solr on iPad?

Posted by Andreas Jung <li...@zopyx.com>.

Re: Solr on iPad?

Posted by Chantal Ackermann <ch...@btelligent.de>.
Hi,

unfortunately for iPad developers, it seems that it is not possible to
use the Spotlight engine through the SDK:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3133678/spotlight-search-in-the-application

Chantal

Re: Solr on iPad?

Posted by Stephan Schwab <sn...@caimito.net>.
Thanks Mark!

I'm subscribing to the cocoa-dev list.

Re: Solr on iPad?

Posted by Mark Allan <ma...@ed.ac.uk>.
Hi Stephan,

On the iPad, as with the iPhone, I'm afraid you're stuck with using
SQLite if you want any form of database in your app.

I suppose if you wanted to get really ambitious and had a lot of time
on your hands you could use Xcode to try and compile one of the open-
source C-based DBs/Indexers, but as with most things in OS X and iOS
development, if you're bending over yourself trying to implement
something, you're probably doing it wrongly!  Also, I wouldn't put it
past the AppStore guardians to reject your app purely on the basis of
having used something other than SQLite!

Apple's cocoa-dev mailing list is very active if you have problems,
but do your homework before asking questions or you'll get short shrift.
	http://lists.apple.com/cocoa-dev

Mark

On 22 Jul 2010, at 6:12 pm, Stephan Schwab wrote:

> Dear Solr community,
>
> does anyone know whether it may be possible or has already been done
> bring Solr to the Apple iPad so that applications may use a local
> search
> engine?
>
> Greetings,
> Stephan

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.