Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/14 18:48:50 UTC

Best Linux distribution

Hi!

In your opinion what is the best LINUX distribution for a server with
an instance of Tomcat and an J2EE application of medium load?

An opinion taking as a basis the performance and cost.

Thanks

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
> Hi!
>
> In your opinion what is the best LINUX distribution for a server with
> an instance of Tomcat and an J2EE application of medium load?
>
> An opinion taking as a basis the performance and cost.

CentOS, it's a clone of Redhat Enterprise Linux.

Install jdk/jre and tomcat yourself.

-Steve O.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.

Mark H. Wood wrote:
> Yes, before anyone can tell you which is best, you need to work out
> for yourself, and tell us, what makes a distro "best".  Do you want to
> just pour it into a machine and have everything done for you?
Yes
>   Do you
> chafe at the very notion that someone could know your needs better
> than you?
No
>   Do you need someone to talk to when things go wrong?
Yes
>  to sue
> when the answers don't satisfy?
For sure, that's a yes.
>  Do you have uncommon hardware to
> support?
Only on Saturday.
>  Will your hardware vendor return your calls if you don't use
> his preferred distro?
No
>  do you care?

Yes
> I've run Red Hat, Debian, Suse, and Gentoo, and I'll take Gentoo any
> day, but I'm a very hands-on, tweak-the-last-cycle-out,
> do-it-with-a-text-editor-or-don't-do-it sort of sysadmin.  There are
> good reasons to choose any of those, or others, and you have to decide
> which reasons are yours.

A Conary based distro is always best. All others a second. :)

--
Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group

Edmund Burke

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
Yes, before anyone can tell you which is best, you need to work out
for yourself, and tell us, what makes a distro "best".  Do you want to
just pour it into a machine and have everything done for you?  Do you
chafe at the very notion that someone could know your needs better
than you?  Do you need someone to talk to when things go wrong? to sue
when the answers don't satisfy?  Do you have uncommon hardware to
support?  Will your hardware vendor return your calls if you don't use
his preferred distro? do you care?

I've run Red Hat, Debian, Suse, and Gentoo, and I'll take Gentoo any
day, but I'm a very hands-on, tweak-the-last-cycle-out,
do-it-with-a-text-editor-or-don't-do-it sort of sysadmin.  There are
good reasons to choose any of those, or others, and you have to decide
which reasons are yours.

Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he
means the exact opposite.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] "Ooh, shiny!" (was RE: Best Linux distribution)

Posted by Lyallex <ly...@gmail.com>.
> Unfortunately too many IT teams that I've encountered tend towards the "Ooh, shiny new toy!" and "My server's newer than your server" views of the world.

Heh heh, shiny new toy syndrome, where would the  'IT business'  be without it.

comp.lang.java.programmer has some really bilious postings from people
who get REALLY upset if you even mention older releases of Java ...
can't see why really, maybe it's all a conspiracy to keep the
consultants in business.

... now where did I put my Dr Logo manual.

[OT] "Ooh, shiny!" (was RE: Best Linux distribution)

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Warren Pace [mailto:warren.pace@gmail.com]
> Point taken.  We ran a Vax until last year...
>
> On Nov 15, 2007 10:52 AM, Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu> wrote:
> > If everyone based their decisions solely on that criteria
> > we would be all using pdp-11s.
[...]

I think some companies are rather gung-ho about upgrading to the shiniest new kit (and OS) at every opportunity.  There's a line to tread between leaving upgrades so long that you can't maintain the system, and upgrading so regularly that there's constant churn and disruption.

Unfortunately too many IT teams that I've encountered tend towards the "Ooh, shiny new toy!" and "My server's newer than your server" views of the world.

                - Peter

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Warren Pace <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by tomcat <tc...@1bigthink.com>.
Agreed!

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Warren Pace <wa...@gmail.com>.

RE: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Partha Goswami <pa...@gmail.com>.
go for Open Solaris.. www.opensolaris.org

Thanks

On Nov 14, 2007 11:18 PM, Andrew Hole <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In your opinion what is the best LINUX distribution for a server with
> an instance of Tomcat and an J2EE application of medium load?
>
> An opinion taking as a basis the performance and cost.
>
> Thanks

Regards
Partha Goswami
Solaris/Open solaris User Group
www.solaris-user-group.org

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Lionel Crine <lc...@linagora.com>.
Hi Steve,

CentOs had troubles with Dell blade video card and ACPI functions.
Sorry, I can't be more precise because it was quite a time ago.

Maybe, the problem was around dell server...isn't it!!

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Edward Dowgiallo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I believe Oracle Corporation has an Oracle Enterprise Linux which you
can download for free.  They charge you for support however.

Ed

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Lionel Crine <lc...@linagora.com>.
Like everyone in here, it depends on what you want to do with your Linux

It doesn't matter in which distribution you are running Tomcat and J2EE
application.
But I surely assure you that you shoudn't use tomcat or java packages
from any distribution if you want best customization.

My opinion :

I was in a company ans we were using Debian, RedHat, Suse, CentOS.

Companies prefers Redhat because of the support. Packages are not so "up
to date". Easy to find suitable rpm.
Debian is really stable but no support and old packages unless you use
the testing one. Easy to find deb files.
Suse, hum, what can I say. YAST is great but it's another distribution

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
I'm just being antagonistic. Really I used to use Gentoo, Ubuntu, etc,
etc, but we use RHEL for some servers. I liked Gentoo for the
customization, but I've been using Foresight for a while now and I'm
really liking it. It gives you the ability to customize and compile as
well. I have a Solaris as well. I'm setting up a rPath system soon.

John Moore wrote:
> Sure to be a dicey question to raise in a public forum.  Mostly, I find,
> it comes to personal preference of what and how you like to manage your
> servers and apps.   We use RHEL for servers running applications covered
> by service contracts.   For everything else (web, applications,
> development, db, cvs servers) we use CentOS since it's RHEL based and
> the environment remains consistent.  This simplifies ongoing
> maintenance.   We started back with RH 6 and evolved from there.  We
> install bare minimum set of packages, turn off all of the junk you don't
> need, then install java, build apache, install tomcat, build modules and
> our apps from there.
>
> We have staff that loves Debian; they say it's the only real
> distribution.   We tested our webapps on it and didn't see a difference
> in performance.  We even have one guy who insists on building his own
> kernels to strip out all of the parts he doesn't need.  I don't get it,
> but it floats his boat.
>
> Figure out what features of a distribution are important to you, find
> ones that best meet your criteria and see how they work for you;
> everything else is meaningless.  If you just want to drop your war into
> an environment, maybe one of the appliance distributions fits your
> needs.
>
> John

Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group
812-735-3600

Edmund Burke

RE: Best Linux distribution

Yup, just what everyone needs - another out-of-date, repackaged version
of Tomcat...

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
Repackaged, out-of-date, no no no. Not with Conary.

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Stanczak Group [mailto:justin@stanczakgroup.com]
>> Subject: Re: Best Linux distribution
>>
>> Hands down this is the best. :)
>> http://www.rpath.org/rbuilder/project/ta/
>>

> Yup, just what everyone needs - another out-of-date, repackaged version
> of Tomcat...
>
>  - Chuck

Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group
812-735-3600

Edmund Burke

RE: Best Linux distribution

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Best Linux distribution

Posted by Stanczak Group <ju...@stanczakgroup.com>.
Hands down this is the best. :)

Andrew Hole wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In your opinion what is the best LINUX distribution for a server with
> an instance of Tomcat and an J2EE application of medium load?
>
> An opinion taking as a basis the performance and cost.
>
> Thanks

Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group
812-735-3600