Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bobrs <bo...@uol.com.br> on 2002/05/05 05:32:36 UTC

Installing cocoon

Hello All.
   I was trying install the cocoon on Tomcat 4.03 for win32.. But, I
dont understand
the installation guide on the Cocoon's site..
  I get this file: cocoon-2.0.2-bin.zip..

  But, in the tutorial, i have this step:
====
 Java 1.4 configuration
Cocoon requires more recent versions of the Xerces and Xalan libraries
than those shipped with j2se 1.4. To override bundled libraries, follow
these steps:

Create %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed directory.
Copy xerces-XXX.jar, xalan-XXX.jar, and the xml-apis.jar from the
.\lib\core\ to the %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed\ directory.
=====

  So, I would like to know, where stay this directory .\lib\core\ ??? In
coccon directory when I decompress the cocoon-2.0.2-bin.zip file ?!?!
 I dont found anything !!!

 Well, I have:
    - Tomcat 4.0.3
    - j2sdk 1.4.0
    - cocoon-2.0.2-bin.zip

 - I have to get other file to install cocoon in win32 !??!

   Sorry my ask's. But I dont know more what I have to do !!!

  If someone have any tutorial to installation in win32..

Thanks ALL !!!

Re: Installing cocoon

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Have you all read the installation instructions?  Getting it to work in
4.0.3 is a pain.  Either be happy with 4.0.1 or go to 4.0.4b2 both of
which are easy.

I'd consider tomcat 4.0.2/3 duds overall anyhow.  I've not had time to
really look into what exactly is wrong with them, but things tend not to
work in them that work elsewhere.

Be advised that jdk 1.4 breaks database code.  You'll have to create
special compiles of avalon components to get that puppy to fly.  Sun
feels this only effects database vendors....

-Andy

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 09:36, Conrad F. D'Cruz wrote:
> Robert,
>
> I would not classify myself as a C2 expert by any long shot.  I have been
> bloodying my nose on Cocoon for about 5 months.  Every day is a new
> experience ... every step is a new experience.
>
> If I succeed in the install I will send you the steps.  If I fail ... you will
> hear
> about that too!!
>
> By the time I get done mastering Cocoon 2.0 maybe I will become a philosopher
> :)
>
> Conrad
>
> Bobrs wrote:
>
> > Conrad,
> >     Thanks by your attention !!! I would like a lot of if you returned your
> > steps to install the 4.0.3 + cocoon 2.0.2 + j2sdk 1.4.
> >   So, like you have more experience with this softwares,  I would
> > like to know if this is a better option to convert files xml to pdf !?!?!
> >   Do you have some examples about this ?!?!
> >
> >  Thanks, one more time !!
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > "Conrad F. D'Cruz" wrote:
> >
> > > Bobrs,
> > >
> > > Yes I struggled with that one too.  You will have to download the
> > > cocoon-2.0.2-src.zip
> > > and that's where you will find the missing pieces.
> > >
> > > I did have trouble with J2DK1.4 ... so I backtracked to jdk1.3 + tomcat
> > > 4.0.1 + cocoon 2.0.1 and everything worked okay.
> > >
> > > I am planning on revisiting the 4.0.3 + cocoon 2.0.2 + j2sdk 1.4 install
> > > sometime next week and I will document the steps (and/or frustrations and
> > > email them to you.)
> > >
> > > Hope that helps.
> > > Conrad

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: Installing cocoon

Posted by "Conrad F. D'Cruz" <co...@netswirl.com>.