Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by Christopher Kotfila <ko...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/05 13:29:23 UTC

Sentence detection evaluation methodology

Good morning!

I'm trying to get a better sense of how precision and recall are calculated
for the sentence detection module. The manual online does not seem to have
a through discussion of the topic, and while i've begun looking through the
source I am not an experienced Java programmer and so am having some
difficulty divining the theory behind numbers.  Citations welcome!

Thanks!
Chris

Re: Sentence detection evaluation methodology

Posted by Christopher Kotfila <ck...@albany.edu>.

Jim <ji...@public.gmane.org> writes:

Hi Jim,

Just so I'm clear,  true positives are require correctly identifying the beginning and end of the sentence,  and any model that misidentifies one sentence in fact misidentifies two because sentences are assumed to be appear in a serial fashion. The model won't have a chance to correctly identify the beginning of a new sentence until the end of the second sentence.

If this is the case then sentences must be compared in an unordered way, The second sentence in my model cannot be compared to the second sentence in the ground truth because the first sentence of my model may have subsumed the second (or more) sentences. This is different (or is it?) than assuming there is a sentence token and trying to correctly classify the set of sentence tokens as they appear in the stream of tokens that make up the text.

But just so I'm clear,  the OpenNLP sentence detection module tests on exact matches (start and end of sentences) yes?

Thanks again for your time!
/Chris

Posted by Jim <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,