Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com> on 2018/02/03 00:12:52 UTC

Deprecate and remove support for Kafka 0.9.x and older version

Is anyone using Apache Beam with Kafka 0.9.x and older?

I am thinking of deprecating 0.9.x and 0.10.0 in Beam 2.4 and remove
support in 2.5 or later. 0.10.1 and up will be supported. 0.10.1+ includes
much better timestamp support.

By deprecation I mean KafkaIO would continue to work with an older version
at runtime, but would not build with it (e.g. `mvn
-Dkafka.clients.version=0.9.1` fails).  We can print a deprecation warning
at runtime.

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/23c69d62a0cabf06c4db8b338f0ca824dc6d81a7

Re: Deprecate and remove support for Kafka 0.9.x and older version

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.
Agreed. We will ask users again before we will remove runtime support in a
future version. No timeline yet.
PR 4603 removes compile time support (i.e. can't run unit tests). Please
let me know that looks good.

Raghu.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.
Thanks. https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/4603
It prints a deprecation warning if the run time version is older than
0.10.1.

Raghu.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.