Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/02/06 20:37:13 UTC

Re: proxy trouble?

Sounds neat -- some quibbles:

Why not generalize some things...

> 2.  ProxyRemote <scheme> <remote-server>
>
>This defines remote proxies to this proxy. <scheme> is the name of a URL-scheme
> that the remote proxy supports. <remote-server> is a partial URL for the
> remote server. Syntax:
>
>   <remote-server> = <protocol>://<hostname>[:port]
>
> <protocol> is the protocol that should be used to communicate with the remote
> server; only "http" is supported by this module.
>
> Example:
>
>   ProxyRemote ftp http://ftpproxy.mydomain.com:8080

Can you also do

    Alias ftp://my.domain/ /var/spool/ftp/
    ProxyRemote ftp http://ftpproxy.mydomain.com:8080

(i.e., map some ftp requests into the local filesystem), and how about

    ProxyRemote <URL-prefix> <remote-server>

so you could do selective proxy redirecting

    ProxyRemote ftp://good.guys.domain/ http://ftpproxy.mydomain.com:8080
    ProxyRemote ftp http://ftpproxy.aol.com

> 3. ProxyPass <path> <url>
>
> This directive allows remote servers to be mapped into the space of the local
> server; the local server does not act as a proxy in the conventional sense,
> but appears to be a mirror of the remote server. <path> is the name of
> a local virtual path; <url> is a partial URL for the remote server.

Actually, that is the definition of a Gateway in HTTP.

> 2. CacheSize <size>
>
> Sets the desired space usage of the cache, in Kb (1024 byte units). Although
> usage may grow above this setting, the garbage collection will delete files
> until the usage is at or below this setting.

You should also have a CacheMaxSize (preventing any growth greater than X)
and a CacheBiggest (preventing a single huge response from blowing out the
cache resources).

Have you put in a special case to prevent a server-push from being cached,
or is that done by some other means?  Just curious.

......Roy