Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/19 11:38:16 UTC

Outdated ECCN page

The ECCN Page at https://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ is very out of date.

There are many references to Incubator projects that have graduated,
and a lot of the links are broken.

Also a few of the references to dependencies don't use the canonical
sources, e.g. some of the references to Bouncy Castle point to copies
in ASF SVN

What needs to be done about this, if anything?

Maybe the table needs a 'last-checked' date for each project.

Sebb.

Re: Outdated ECCN page

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Let’s keep in mind that with the new site we are changing data formats from XML to YAML and as a consequence there are two processes that need improvement.

(1) Adding and updating entries.

(2) Creating the bisnotice email.

Please see https://github.com/apache/www-site/tree/main/data/eccn

The new location for the page source is here:
https://github.com/apache/www-site/blob/main/content/licenses/exports/index.ezmd
https://github.com/apache/www-site/blob/main/content/licenses/exports/include/main.md

The eccnmatrix.yaml file is processed into the sequences used on index.ezmd here:
https://github.com/apache/www-site/blob/main/theme/plugins/asfdata.py#L368 (exact line number may change)

A preview branch of www-site can be made and used to work on changes:
https://github.com/apache/www-site/blob/main/docs/branches.md

All ASF Members have write access.

All The Best,
Dave

Re: Outdated ECCN page

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Outdated ECCN page

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

pmcs@ and ppmcs@ might be better.

> Outside of that -- I don't think we can do much.
>
> > Maybe the table needs a 'last-checked' date for each project.
>
> I think we should simplify, not complicate.

The date would make it simpler to determine if the entry needs checking or not.

> The golden standard so far
> seems to be how LF does it:
>    https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/export/
>
> As you can see they are very opaque as to where the source is actually
> located, but they do list other things like Submission Date.

Having such date would make it easier to determine whether the info is
likely to be out of date or not.

Re: Outdated ECCN page

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.