Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by michael8 <mi...@saracatech.com> on 2009/11/02 15:43:16 UTC

question about collapse.type = adjacent

Hi,

I would like to confirm if 'adjacent' in collapse.type means the documents
(with the same collapse field value) are considered adjacent *after* the
'sort' param from the query has been applied, or *before*?  I would think it
would be *after* since collapse feature primarily is meant for presentation
use.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: question about collapse.type = adjacent

Posted by michael8 <mi...@saracatech.com>.
Hi Martijn,

This clarifies it all for me.  Thanks a lot!

Michael

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Micheal,

Field collapsing is basicly done in two steps. The first step is to
get the uncollapsed sorted (whether it is score or a field value)
documents and the second step is to apply the collapse algorithm on
the uncollapsed documents. So yes, when specifying
collapse.type=adjacent the documents can get collapsed after the sort
has been applied, but this also the case when not specifying
collapse.type=adjacent
I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Martijn

2009/11/2 michael8 <mi...@saracatech.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to confirm if 'adjacent' in collapse.type means the documents
> (with the same collapse field value) are considered adjacent *after* the
> 'sort' param from the query has been applied, or *before*?  I would think it
> would be *after* since collapse feature primarily is meant for presentation
> use.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Met vriendelijke groet,