Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/28 16:34:33 UTC

Creative Commons Attribution License

I'd like to add JCIP annotations to some Java projects.

The JCIP jar is available under the:

Creative Commons Attribution License  -
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5

This does not seem to be mentioned anywhere on the current 3rd party
page draft (apart from a passing reference to icons).

As far as I can tell, the JCIP annotations jar is only needed at
compile time, however users would not be able to rebuild without it,
so it's not an optional dependency.

Also if the jar is not included in the project distribution, it would
need to be installed in a Maven repository - which seems to me to be
akin to distribution...

Can we use JCIP in projects and add it to Maven repos?

Re: Creative Commons Attribution License

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
I've added CC-A to the category A list and added the following as a
paragraph beneath said list:

"Many of these licenses have specific attribution terms that need to
be adhered to, for example CC-A, often by adding them to the NOTICE
file. Ensure you are doing this when including these works."

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
What about the attribution : "You must attribute the work in the
manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that
suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work)."

2008/5/29 Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>>> I don't have any problem with depending on a CC licensed artifact, but I'm
>>> troubled by the notion that an artifact would be installed into a Maven
>>> repository by "not the author".
>>
>> I, on the other hand, have zero problems with that.
>>
>> The very purpose of creating an open source or creative commons
>> license is to remove the very need to obtain permission for a select
>> set of uses.  In fact I have personally heard Joi Ito (current CEO of
>> Creative Commons) argue very eloquently AGAINST the idea that people
>> should either seek, or grant, permissions to works that are already
>> licensed under a creative commons license.  He cites the Chicago
>> Manual of Style:
>>
>> "The act of seeking permission establishes that the author feels
>> permission is needed, and the tacit admission may be damaging to the
>> author's cause."
>>
>> Think about it.  You write open source code.  An individual, a group,
>> or a company is free to pick up that code and distribute it to
>> his/her/their users.  In general, do they need to seek your permission
>> before they do so?  No.
>>
>>> Would it be possible for you to contact the owner and ask if they would
>>> publish it to a Maven repo themselves?
>>
>> I am confident that I have written code that exists in a Maven
>> repository that I haven't put there.  And while I may be the original
>> author of that code, I am not the "owner".
>
> Agreed. I'm pissed when they make releases for me rather than using my
> (our) releases, but no problem with it going in there.
>
> Anyway - the Maven repository guys can decide whether they want the
> original author to hand it in or not. I don't think we need to worry
> about it as there's nothing wrong with redistributing this.
>
> Hen

Gilles Scokart

Re: Creative Commons Attribution License

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Craig L Russell ha scritto:
> I don't have any problem with depending on a CC licensed artifact, but
> I'm troubled by the notion that an artifact would be installed into a
> Maven repository by "not the author".

I had big issues with the fact that pom.xml in maven repository have no
license headers. Our PMC voted down redistributing some of them because
of this.

It should be enforced that any uploaded pom.xml include a license header
to specify the license for the pom itself.

Unfortunately most pom.xml in the current repository do not have the
license header and we don't even know who hold the copyright for that
files, AFAIK.

Stefano

Re: Creative Commons Attribution License

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.