Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/02/08 09:53:16 UTC

A new "Hello World!" example

Hi all,

you may be interested in this "experimental" new "Hello World!"
tutorial, that makes use of the new "create-component" target to setup
the layout of a new component.
I really think that the OFBiz framework is becoming very powerful:
writing an "Hello World!" application is really a matter of writing
"Hello World!" inside of a "label" element in a screen definition.

Cheers,

Jacopo

Re: A new "Hello World!" example

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,
why you say "Not having the Confluence export available (is that
true?) should not be a reason."
I have done the export of the ENDUSER space in HTML several times.
It works and you can easily get a static HTML local copy of it

-Bruno

Re: A new "Hello World!" example

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>
> On Feb 8, 2009, at 4:36 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> 1) Drupal is a true CMS, OFBiz is only a kind of documents managment  system. I guess it would be much more difficult to achieve
>> the same  result, no speaking about maintening it...
>
> If you looked a little deeper you'd find this isn't quite true. There  are quite a few things in place already and something to
> maintain  documentation and replace Confluence wouldn't be too difficult, and  would be far more integrated with other things like
> project management  for smoother and more consistent UI flow.

OK, I must admit I have not yet a complete knowledged of OFBiz CMS.
As I trust you, I guess it should be the way to go then. Especially if we are able to easier/better coordinate efforts using the
project manager though I don't see how practically it could be used. Of course my lack of use of the project manager is also the
reson I guess..
Some things to learn before beginning hence.

Jacques

Re: A new "Hello World!" example

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: A new "Hello World!" example

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
OK, sorry to have messed things up.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2133 tries to use the
Confluence END-USER space as it is now and just to link it to OFBiz.
This is, IMO, the shortest path to have a well structured and updated
documentation. This will happen because the help pages will be much
more handy and if a help page is not available or not updated it will
come soon up evident.
We should only to decide hot to structure the help pages. IMO the
current pattern to have one page for each OFBiz page is really good.
We should have at least this and then add some more general pages.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2133 also foresees an help
package distribution to be used offline locally. This will be really
easy to do using the Confluence export feature (that is available
right now).

So I definitively suggest to go on this path.

"use our own dog food" is another thing that we have discussed and
agreed to be beneficial to the project (CMS application further
development). This is a task that Hans as already started putting a
copy of the OFBiz web site into OFBiz itself but this effort will be
dead soon if we do not decide if and how to use it.
A possibility that I see is that, after having found the server and
infra needed, OFBiz could be used to host only the web site. This will
allow/need a CMS improvement.
Then when we will have a CMS that we can rely on (or, may be better,
that we have learned to use) we could move the help documentation on

Re: A new "Hello World!" example

From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>

Re: A new "Hello World!" example

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: A new "Hello World!" example

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo, All,

[...]
How could we achieve it ? Not having the Confluence export available (is that true?) should not be a reason.

Also Bruno is proposing something very interesting about help https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2133

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Re: A new "Hello World!" example

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.