Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Leffel, Daniel" <dl...@ebay.com> on 2007/03/08 02:16:27 UTC

Autocompleter in 4.1.2

I've burned an entire day on this already. I can't figure out what's
wrong. Please help. My Autocomplete component is returning an empty json
response. Client-side the call is being made. Looking at the server-side
debug, I can't find anything that would make me suspect a problem (I can
see the query is working). Code and debug below:

RegionAdmin.java:
public IAutocompleteModel getRegionAutoCompleteModel(){
		return new RegionAutoCompleteModel(getRegionManager());
}

RegionAutoCompleteModel.java:
public class RegionAutoCompleteModel implements IAutocompleteModel{
	RegionManager regionManager;

	public RegionAutoCompleteModel(RegionManager manager){
		this.regionManager=manager;
	}

	public String getLabelFor(Object region) {
		return ((Region) region).getRegionName();
	}

	public Object getPrimaryKey(Object region) {
		return ((Region) region).getRegionId();
	}

	public Object getValue(Object primaryKey) {
		return regionManager.getRegion((Long) primaryKey);
	}

	public List getValues(String query) {
		return regionManager.getRegions(query);
	}
}

regionAdmin.html:
value="ognl:currentRegion.parentRegion"
model="ognl:regionAutoCompleteModel" />

Client-side debug:
Response is "{}"

Server-side:
ComponentEventConnectionWorker [DEBUG] Constructing core service
implementation for service
tapestry.render.ComponentEventConnectionWorker
ComponentEventConnectionWorker [DEBUG] Autowired property classResolver
to org.apache.hivemind.impl.DefaultClassResolver@d698f7
ComponentEventConnectionWorker [DEBUG] Set property eventInvoker to
<SingletonProxy for
tapestry.event.EventInvoker(org.apache.tapestry.internal.event.IComponen
tEventInvoker)>
ComponentEventConnectionWorker [DEBUG] Set property eventEngine to
<SingletonProxy for
tapestry.event.DirectEvent(org.apache.tapestry.engine.IEngineService)>
ComponentEventConnectionWorker [DEBUG] Set property componentScript to
/org/apache/tapestry/ComponentEvent.script
ComponentEventConnectionWorker [DEBUG] Set property widgetScript to
/org/apache/tapestry/dojo/html/WidgetEvent.script
ComponentEventConnectionWorker [DEBUG] Set property elementScript to
/org/apache/tapestry/html/ElementEvent.script
ComponentEventConnectionWorker [DEBUG] Set property scriptSource to
<SingletonProxy for
tapestry.script.ScriptSource(org.apache.tapestry.engine.IScriptSource)>
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute org.apache.tapestry.Form to
$Form_7@ef204761[AdminRegions/mainForm]
BeanProvider [DEBUG] getBean(defaultDelegate)
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Instantiating instance of
org.apache.tapestry.valid.ValidationDelegate
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute
org.apache.tapestry.active-link-component to
$DirectLink_9@74d91b45[AdminRegions/$DirectLink]
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Removing attribute
org.apache.tapestry.active-link-component
IfBean [DEBUG] Condition was true so rendering
body$IfBean_11@1b285[AdminRegions/$If]
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute
org.apache.tapestry.active-link-component to
$DirectLink_9@a2f2c065[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute <unique>
classpath:/org/apache/tapestry/link/DirectLink.script, line 10, column
13 to true
$DirectLink_9@a2f2c085[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Removing attribute
org.apache.tapestry.active-link-component
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute org.mb.tapestry.base.IfValue to true
IfBean [DEBUG] Condition was true so rendering
body$IfBean_11@4351034[AdminRegions/$If]
$DirectLink_9@b91adfd4[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b5434[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
body$IfBean_11@4351053[AdminRegions/$If]
$DirectLink_9@b91adff3[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b5453[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
body$IfBean_11@4351072[AdminRegions/$If]
$DirectLink_9@b91ae012[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b5472[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
body$IfBean_11@4351091[AdminRegions/$If]
$DirectLink_9@b91ae031[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b5491[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
body$IfBean_11@43510b0[AdminRegions/$If]
$DirectLink_9@b91ae050[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b54b0[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
body$IfBean_11@43510cf[AdminRegions/$If]
$DirectLink_9@b91ae06f[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b54cf[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
body$IfBean_11@43510ee[AdminRegions/$If]
$DirectLink_9@b91ae08e[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b54ee[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Removing attribute
org.apache.tapestry.active-link-component
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute org.mb.tapestry.base.IfValue to true
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute org.mb.tapestry.base.IfValue to false
$DirectLink_9@a2f2c0a5[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_2]
$DirectLink_9@a2f2c0c5[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_3]
$DirectLink_9@b91bc894[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_2]
$DirectLink_9@b91c3cf4[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_3]
body$IfBean_11@435114b[AdminRegions/$If]
$DirectLink_9@b91ae0ad[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b550d[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
$DirectLink_9@b91bc8b3[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_2]
$DirectLink_9@b91c3d13[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_3]
$DirectLink_9@b91bc8d2[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_2]
$DirectLink_9@b91c3d32[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_3]
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Removing attribute
org.apache.tapestry.active-link-component
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute org.apache.tapestry.field-focused to
true
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute
org.apache.tapestry.services.impl.ComponentEventConnectionFormNames-main
Form to []
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute <unique>
classpath:/org/apache/tapestry/ComponentEvent.script, line 12, column 17
to true
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Removing attribute org.apache.tapestry.Form

Re: Autocompleter in 4.1.2

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Heh, thanks. :)

Should be fixed & deployed now.

RE: Autocompleter in 4.1.2

Posted by "Leffel, Daniel" <dl...@ebay.com>.

Re: Autocompleter in 4.1.2

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

RE: Autocompleter in 4.1.2

Posted by "Leffel, Daniel" <dl...@ebay.com>.
Jesse,
This problem has to do with the same problem I emailed about a few days
ago that components nested within a dialog aren't updating.

I finally boiled this down to this:
If the autocompleter is not nested within the dialog, it works
perfectly. Here is the firebug output:
filter	US
json	true
updateParts	parentRegionChooser

In that case, the following Get returns a JSON response with the
expected content:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/vino/AdminRegions,parentRegionChooser.sdirect?json
=true&updateParts=parentRegionChooser&filter=US

However, if the autocompleter is placed within the dialog, the exact
same request returns an empty JSON response. This sounds eerily familiar
to the problem where if I didn't simply update the entire dialog
(instead updating components within in), I was getting empty AJAX

I changed my log4j.properities as instructed, but my debug looks like
this:

RequestCycle [DEBUG] Committing page changes
BaseComponent [DEBUG] Begin render AdminRegions
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Set attribute org.apache.tapestry.html.Shell to
$Shell_1@d5bc3c1d[AdminRegions/$Shell]
to org.apache.hivemind.impl.DefaultClassResolver@8a71d2
[...]
ResponseBuilder [DEBUG] BEGIN isDynamic()
ResponseBuilder [DEBUG] END isDynamic() [true]
ResponseBuilder [DEBUG] BEGIN
contains($ForBean_10@32f63d[AdminRegions/$For])
ResponseBuilder [DEBUG] END contains() [false]
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61eec[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61f0b[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61f2a[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61f49[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61f68[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61f87[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61fa6[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61fc5[AdminRegions/$For])
body$IfBean_11@435110d[AdminRegions/$If]
contains($ForBean_10@7dd61fe4[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@7dd62003[AdminRegions/$For])
$DirectLink_9@b91ae0cc[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_0]
$DirectLink_9@b91b552c[AdminRegions/$DirectLink_1]
contains($ForBean_10@3ae1faf1[AdminRegions/$For])
contains($ForBean_10@3ae1fb10[AdminRegions/$For])
[...]
writeBodyScript(org.apache.tapestry.engine.NullWriter@ed1493,
RequestCycle[rewinding=false serviceName=direct
serviceParameters=[Ljava.lang.Object;@e1e7e3 loadedPages=[AdminRegions]
attributes={org.apache.tapestry.services.impl.ComponentEventConnectionFo
rmNames-mainForm=[mainForm], org.apache.tapestry.field-focused=true,
org.apache.tapestry.html.Shell=$Shell_1@d5bc3c1d[AdminRegions/$Shell],
org.apache.tapestry.PageRenderSupport=org.apache.tapestry.util.PageRende
rSupportImpl@4f30bd, org.mb.tapestry.base.IfValue=false, <unique>
classpath:/org/apache/tapestry/link/DirectLink.script, line 10, column
13=true, <unique> classpath:/org/apache/tapestry/ComponentEvent.script,
line 12, column 17=true} targetActionId=0 targetComponent=null])
ResponseBuilder [DEBUG] END writeBodyScript()
ResponseBuilder [DEBUG] BEGIN
writeInitializationScript(org.apache.tapestry.engine.NullWriter@ed1493)
ResponseBuilder [DEBUG] END writeInitializationScript()
BeanProvider [DEBUG] getBean(coreAjaxDelegate)
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Instantiating instance of
org.apache.tapestry.dojo.AjaxShellDelegate
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property dojoSource
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property dojoPath
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property tapestrySource
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property tapestryPath
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property logLevel
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property debug
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property debugAtAllCosts
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property debugContainerId
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property consoleEnabled
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property preventBackButtonFix
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Initializing property parseWidgets
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Removing attribute org.apache.tapestry.html.Shell
BaseComponent [DEBUG] End render AdminRegions
RequestCycle [DEBUG] Removing attribute
org.apache.tapestry.PageRenderSupport
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Removing REQUEST bean defaultDelegate:
org.apache.tapestry.valid.ValidationDelegate@3fe8cc
BeanProvider [DEBUG] Removing REQUEST bean coreAjaxDelegate:
org.apache.tapestry.dojo.AjaxShellDelegate@ccd96b
ExceptionTranslationFilter [DEBUG] Chain processed normally
ExceptionTranslationFilter [DEBUG] Chain processed normally
HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter [DEBUG] SecurityContextHolder set to
new context, as request processing completed
TransactionSynchronizationManager [DEBUG] Removed value
[org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SessionHolder@c8aaf2] for key
[org.hibernate.impl.SessionFactoryImpl@4d9023] from thread
[http-8080-Processor23]
OpenSessionInViewFilter [DEBUG] Closing single Hibernate Session in
OpenSessionInViewFilter
SessionFactoryUtils [DEBUG] Closing Hibernate Session
SessionImpl [DEBUG] closing session

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Without anything else to go on I'd say that no json request is being
made, or no json request is being made specifying
updateParts:whateverTheNameOfYourAutocompleterIs.

My Firebug output from these requests hitting the 4.1 demo is:

request:
filter	(means nothing, blank, null)
json	true
updateParts	projectChoose

It doesn't look like your debug logs are displaying everything
either...You could cut down on some of the noise by turning off all
that other stuff and enabling the categories documented here:

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/ajax/debugging.html

Then you'll be able to see each method of the response getting
invoked, as well as which arguments are used and what the return value
was. (ie everything you need to know why something wouldn't be getting
rendered. )

On 3/7/07, Leffel, Daniel <dl...@ebay.com> wrote:
> I put a logger line in the getValues method and noticed that the method is not being called. Why would that be?

<snipped>

RE: Autocompleter in 4.1.2

Posted by "Leffel, Daniel" <dl...@ebay.com>.
I put a logger line in the getValues method and noticed that the method is not being called. Why would that be?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.