Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Nicola Farina <fa...@multidialogo.it> on 2024/01/31 14:07:15 UTC

Filling a form advice

Hi

I need to produce a kind of form filled document like the attached one.
My application receives a print request payload with all the fields of
a kind of "payment postal order".
Then a PDF document, containing the layout, is loaded.
Then I fill it using PDFBox
primitives, basically a sequence of:

newLineAtOffset
followed by
showText

In the attached example, though, there is a new requirement.
There are some areas (I have encircled in red to better identify them)
which I need to place a string whose characters must be inside boxes.
I tried to use

showTextWithPositioning

preparing an array with each character followed by a number
representing the interleaving space, but the output was not the one I
need.

Do I need to manually position each character and then move the cursor
explicitly?
Is there no way to specify a string with some, I don't know, offset
between the chars?

thanks!
Bye
Nicola

Re: Filling a form advice

Posted by Nicola Farina <fa...@multidialogo.it>.
Hi Tilman

thanks for answering so fast!
Actually showTextWithPositioning does the job!
I had a bug in my code so it was not called!
I realised it just after sending the email sorry!
I am using an OCRB font which is fixed size I think

The PDF is not an acroform document, is just an image converted into a
PDF, and I manually write on it
(automating what a human user would do with paper and pen in a
"physical" postal office  ... )
From your words I understand that using showTextWithPositioning is the
right choice for this task..
thanks a lot