Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matthew Inger <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2007/05/03 22:33:41 UTC

Deploying Default Webapp in Tomcat 6.0

I've been trying to figure out how to deploy a .war file as the root webapp in Tomcat 6.0.10.

Say I have a "foo.war" file, and create a conf/Catalina/localhost/foo.xml file with the
following contents:

<Context path="" docBase="foo" />

I would expect (as in Tomcat 5), that the url: http://localhost:8080/  would be routed to the
webapp in foo.war.   However, I simply get a blank page (yes, i've removed the webapps/ROOT
directory).

I've found not much of anything useful in the documentation on doing this.

Can anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong?

----
mattinger@yahoo.com
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it
dominate your destiny.  Consume you it will " - Yoda

Re: Deploying Default Webapp in Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Orlando Reis <re...@gmail.com>.
:) I liked this one

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Matthew Inger [mailto:mattinger@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Deploying Default Webapp in Tomcat 6.0
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to deploy a .war file as
> the root webapp in Tomcat 6.0.10.
>
> Say I have a "foo.war" file, and create a
> conf/Catalina/localhost/foo.xml file with the
> following contents:
>
> <Context path="" docBase="foo" />

(I'm going to get a rubber stamp for this one.)  The path attribute is
not allowed when <Context> is in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appname].xml, and
the docBase attribute must not be used if the app is deployed under the
<Host>'s appBase directory.

Read the description of the path attribute for the <Context> element:

You would normally name the default app ROOT.war, as the doc states, and
place it in the appBase directory (webapps, by default).  If you insist
on naming the .war something else, then keep it outside of Tomcat's
directory structure, and put your <Context> element in
conf/Catalina/[host]/ROOT.xml with a docBase attribute pointing to the
location of the .war file (do not include a path attribute).

> Can anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Not reading the doc or recent messages on this mailing list.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.