Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2015/09/22 21:58:36 UTC

Passion and vigilance in open source

Some of you may know that I've started a Vlog series on Youtube
around some topics I find interesting, mostly around open source.

My latest is about the risks around open source today where the
fun and passion that used to exist around open source is drying
up or being discounted. Since Apache is one of the still remaining
oasis of open source being all about community and fun whilst still
changing the world, I'd like to ask for some thoughts from the
membership about their concerns, etc... that I can fold into the
2nd part of this mini-series.

If so, please contact me directly. I have set the Reply-To header
accordingly.

Thx!

Re: Passion and vigilance in open source

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 22 Sep 15, at 16:35, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jim,
>
> Is that really happening?  Is the fun leaving?  Or is it we are all just
> getting old and are forgetting the child-like wonder?

I think that the fun is not leaving—rather the opposite, in fact--and that age, or more accurately, being in a rut and for a very long while, can get boring. Even for the JimJags of the wold, who seldom are boring to others.

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
I beg to differ. From my point of view, OSS is bustling and it's funner
than ever. Partly responsible are tools like Github, as they've made
projects easily publishable and discoverable; they've demystified OSS and
made it even simpler for anyone to pitch in and contribute.

Moreover, huge services like Facebook, Twitter, Netflix and the likes keep
publishing innovative and exciting stuff often – which only contributes to
the fun. Take into account that most of the current IT trends (big data,
cloud, analytics, machine learning, IoT, etc.) have strong roots in OSS.

That said, it is true that we're seeing more business models built around
open source, dragging in more corporate horsepower into this world. I
definitely see a "corporatisation" of Open Source. I don't know if that's
what you meant with less fun and passion.

*Raúl Kripalani*
PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and
Messaging Engineer
http://about.me/raulkripalani | http://www.linkedin.com/in/raulkripalani
http://blog.raulkr.net | twitter: @raulvk

Posted by Aris Siarot <ar...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
I hope I captured things correctly:

	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NutfacePMIs

Re: Passion and vigilance in open source

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> ++1... I was primarily pointing out that we want to remember to respect
> different approaches, and that includes folks who do this 9-5 on weekdays
> or shows up with something cool and then just disappears again for a while.
>
> Shambhala comes to mind :)

Of course! As someone who was there when Shambhala happened, I am
unlikely to forget :)

Re: Passion and vigilance in open source

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Top posting:

And that is why merit does not expire. Something very cool is likely to be returned unless you've burned, bridges!

As imperfect as anyone.

Regards,
Dave

PS. When discussing forebears ask me about parents and stock databases.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
I like these thoughts about periodic cycles.

--
Best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,

[1] Start using Apache Openmeetings today, http://openmeetings.apache.org/
[2] Join Alexei Fedotov @linkedin, http://ru.linkedin.com/in/dataved/
[3] Join Alexei Fedotov @facebook, http://www.facebook.com/openmeetings

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
To me, Github and the ASF are not comparable. GH is a service to facilitate
collaboration in the OSS world (with a private offering for managing
private code too); whereas the ASF is an organisation that promotes,
protects and mentors OSS projects.

One of our prime drivers is Community over Code, whereas I'd argue that
Github's priorities are the opposite: Code over Community. Just get your
code out there and see if it gains traction. Moreover, we have a principle
of meritocracy which is not even modelled at Github. Open Source
traditionally being a voluntary commitment, I would argue that a
meritocracy policy tends to drive people to get involved and absorbed into
the fun ;-)

About the organisations publishing on Github or on Apache... Companies
publishing to Github prioritise building a user base (not necessarily a
community), whilst *retaining their control on the project*. Conversely,
organisations contributing their projects to the ASF are actually
*donating* their codebase with the expectation of building a solid and
vibrant community around it – that's where the fun is IMHO.

In fact – for the sake of illustrating my thoughts – I *could* envision
part of the ASF's daily business/processes running on top of Github, why
not? Code management, issue management, knowledge management, mainly.
Obviously we'd lose a lot of our delicacy and uniqueness if we do that ;-)

The ASF has a prestige, whereas – like Alex said GH – can be thought of as
a marketplace: each project has its own reputation. In fact, the dev
communities I've dealt with tend to regard the ASF highly as a body;
whereas you can't ask them for an opinion about GH as a whole, you'd have
to ask for specific projects (unless you're asking about GH as a product).

The public recognises that being an ASF projects implies having passed many
filters, votes and approval of talented people. And they appreciate that.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Jim,

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
That is a fascinating analysis, and a lot to think about.

Thanks.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

RE: Passion and vigilance in open source