Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Mike Shoemaker <mi...@shoesobjects.com> on 2008/05/28 05:32:32 UTC

Add Parameterized Message to ExceptionReport

Gang

I'm new to tapestry and I'm currently trying to catch a duplicate
database entry(i.e. user registered twice) and I'd like to catch the
hibernate exception and forward to the Exception Report page but
instead of displaying the error message, instead I'd like to say "User
already registered" or something like that.  I can't seem to find the
right terms to plug into google to get back what I need.  Can someone
point me to a source that shows how to do this.

Thanks
Mike

Re: Add Parameterized Message to ExceptionReport

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fs...@fsadev.com>.
Hi Mike,

I posted about how to turn the RequestExceptionHandler into a pipeline a
week or two ago:
http://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=RequestExceptionFilter&l=users%40tapestry.apache.org

You could use this approach, perhaps coupled with the Strategy service
I'm talking about in one of my posts, to do what you want.

I wouldn't recommend the approach, though. It's much better - according
to the Hibernate guys, anyhow - to check if the user already registered
during the validateForm event and display a form error if so:

   @Property
   private String username;

   @Inject
   private UserService userService;

   @Component(id = "register")
   private Form registerForm;

   @Component(id = "username")
   private TextField usernameField;

   void onValidateFormFromRegister() {
     if (!userService.isUniqueUsername(username)) {
       registerForm.recordError(usernameField, "Username already taken.");
     }
   }

At least that's the way I do it. :)

-Filip