Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/02/01 07:52:44 UTC

Re: thoughts on River tabs organization...

I've been through these wars a number of times and it seems that tabs
just get in the way of productivity. If you want everything to look
good and indent 4 spaces, then the usual tab 8 doesn't work, even
though that's the standard tab. And then you end up with a mixture of
tabs and spaces in each file, so everyone changes to 4 space tabs but
then people with no tab settings in their editor see that there is no
spacing at all and put in 4 tabs thinking that this will fix things
and then no one is happy.

I think 4 space indentation and no tabs seems to be a universal
solvent. At least very few people object strongly to it.

Craig

On Jan 31, 2007, at 8:13 PM, Bill Venners wrote:

> Hi Gregg,
>
> You realize of course this means war. I'm all for a style standard,
> so long as it is 4 *spaces* for each level of indentation.
>
> Actually, I usually have no problem adapting to whatever the style
> is of the project I'm working on, but at home, at Artima, we use
> four spaces to indent Java.
>
> Bill
>
> On Jan 31, 2007, at 7:43 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>
>> Jim Hurley wrote:
>>> If ya'll think this (organization) is a good idea -- I'd
>>> like to agree on the initial list, where to put it, and
>>> how best to attack it. Let me know what you think.
>>
>> One issue that I'd like to bring up, but which may create a lot of
>> disagreement is the whitespace usage in the JTSK sources.  I'd
>> like, at some point, for all lines of code to have leading tabs
>> only.  Everyone seems to like different whitespace/columns for
>> indentation and tabs only seems to provide the most flexability.
>> It means that diffs have to be generated with -b, or in some way
>> which removes whitespace from consideration for any updates people
>> submit between the old code and their current code.
>>
>> Am I just retentive about this issue, or does anyone else have
>> some problems poping the source up in an editor/ide with something
>> besides 8 char tabs?
>>
>> Gregg Wonderly

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: thoughts on River tabs organization...

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1