Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/03 05:16:31 UTC

Solr: "Upgrade Notes" no longer in CHANGES.txt; See Ref Guide

I want to draw attention to an issue I've worked on that makes some notable
changes to CHANGES.txt maintenance:
It's already code-reviewed by Jan and Cassandra approves (a huge fan).  In
particular I want to draw attention to the move of the "upgrade notes"
subject to be strictly in the Solr Ref Guide which goes here:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/solr-upgrade-notes.adoc
You can see the PR to see what it looks like.  I repeat, NO MORE adding
upgrade notes to the top of CHANGES.txt.  If you have opposing views on
this, please speak up in JIRA.  I plan to commit the issue in a couple days.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Solr: "Upgrade Notes" no longer in CHANGES.txt; See Ref Guide

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David, that helps.

For sure we’ll have a separate page for 9.0, likely along the lines as we have for 6, 7, and 8. Maybe also starting in 9.0 I’ll revisit the idea of doing separate upgrade note pages too, but won’t do it now.

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
I’m just finally getting around to looking at this to prep for 8.5. Thanks David & Jan for working on this, I think it will help.

I have a few questions for this release: