Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kevin Laurie <su...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/23 07:06:19 UTC

trying to get Apache Solr working with Dovecot.

Hello,

I am desperately trying to get Apache Solr to work with Dovecot FTS. I
would really appreciate if someone could please help me!
I have already done the following:-

1. I can ssh into my server and see that Apache Solr is up and running.

 ssh -t -L 8983:localhost:8983 user@mydomain.com

2. In the collection1 core selector I have the following files:-
solrconfig.xml and schema.xml
The schema.xml output is as follows(see link):-

http://pastebin.com/thGw2pQj

3. I have installed the dovecot-solr already.

4. Configured dovecot to run solr-fts as follows:-

In 10-mail.conf:

# Space separated list of plugins to load for all services. Plugins
specific to
# IMAP, LDA, etc. are added to this list in their own .conf files.
#mail_plugins =
mail_plugins = fts fts_solr

In 90-plugin.conf:-

plugin {
   fts = solr
   fts_solr = break-imap-search url=http://localhost:8983/solr/
}

Despite all the above the Solr does not seem to run FTS for Dovecot.
Appreciate if some one could give some feedback

Thanks
Kevin

Re: trying to get Apache Solr working with Dovecot.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/23/2015 12:11 AM, Kevin Laurie wrote:
> The solr / lucene version is 4.10.2
>
> I am trying to figure out how to see if Dovecot and Solr can contact.
> Apparently when I make searches there seems to be no contact. I might try
> to rebuild dovecot again and see if that solves the problem.
>
> I just checked var/log/solr and its empty. Might need to enable debugging
> on Solr.
>
> Regarding tracing, not much as I am still relatively new(might be a
> challenge) but will figure out.
>
> Is there any well documented manual for dovecot-solr integration?

Very likely you'll need to talk to whoever made the Solr plugin for
dovecot.  If they look at your situation and tell you that the problem
is in Solr itself and they don't know what to do, then you can come back
here with the specific logs and information that they point to.

Solr, as shipped by Apache, defaults to INFO level logging (which is
very verbose), into a file named logs/solr.log.  If the solr log is in
/var/log, then I can tell you already that either you're not using Solr
directly from Apache, or someone has changed the config.  If the Solr is
packaged by someone else, they will have information that we don't, and
they'll be better situated to help you.  If it's Solr from Apache but
the config has been modified, then we need to know what modifications
were made.

If I do a google search for "dovecot solr" (without the quotes), the
very first hit that comes up looks like it's completely relevant.  The
links at the end of that page are not very helpful -- one requires
authentication and the other talks about Solr 1.4.0, which is five years
old.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Solr

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: trying to get Apache Solr working with Dovecot.

Posted by Kevin Laurie <su...@gmail.com>.
Dear Alexandre,
Thanks for your feedback.
The solr / lucene version is 4.10.2

I am trying to figure out how to see if Dovecot and Solr can contact.
Apparently when I make searches there seems to be no contact. I might try
to rebuild dovecot again and see if that solves the problem.

I just checked var/log/solr and its empty. Might need to enable debugging
on Solr.

Regarding tracing, not much as I am still relatively new(might be a
challenge) but will figure out.

Is there any well documented manual for dovecot-solr integration?

Thanks for your feedback!
Regards
Kevin A.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.