Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Smith <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/02 00:01:45 UTC

[users@httpd] troubleshooting httpd performance

Is there a way to troubleshoot where performance
bottlenecks may be occurring with httpd? Such as some
module such as mod_rewrite? Can you print out what
files httpd is currently serving?

Starting a couple days ago, it's as if my CPU has been
replaced with one far less powerful. Just about
everything hits the CPU hard. All httpd processes show
1-3% CPU each and there's usually a few with 20-50%
CPU each. Before, it seemed most httpd processes were
0%, with a few using maybe 5-20%. Other programs suck
up CPU too and are a great deal slower: ps, ls, su,
mysql, bzip2, ... I haven't changed anything on the
server in the past while - except for minor HTML
editing.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem may be?
Since I really haven't changed anything on the server,
I'm led to believe it might be hardware slowly failing
(it does seem to be getting worse) - failing hard
drive? Or maybe it needs defregging (is there a
defragger for linux?)?

OS: Redhat 7.3
Apache: 1.3.27

TIA,
John

Re: [users@httpd] troubleshooting httpd performance

Posted by Cody Harris <hc...@ns.sympatico.ca>.
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:01:45 -0700 (PDT),
Someone named John Smith <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to troubleshoot where performance
> bottlenecks may be occurring with httpd? Such as some
> module such as mod_rewrite? Can you print out what
> files httpd is currently serving?

Turn extended server status on and there should be more on /server-status

Check the docs.

> Starting a couple days ago, it's as if my CPU has been
> replaced with one far less powerful. Just about
> everything hits the CPU hard. All httpd processes show
> 1-3% CPU each and there's usually a few with 20-50%
> CPU each. Before, it seemed most httpd processes were
> 0%, with a few using maybe 5-20%. Other programs suck
> up CPU too and are a great deal slower: ps, ls, su,
> mysql, bzip2, ... I haven't changed anything on the
> server in the past while - except for minor HTML
> editing.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what the problem may be?
> Since I really haven't changed anything on the server,
> I'm led to believe it might be hardware slowly failing
> (it does seem to be getting worse) - failing hard
> drive? Or maybe it needs defregging (is there a
> defragger for linux?)?
>
> OS: Redhat 7.3
> Apache: 1.3.27
>
> TIA,
> John

+------------------+-----------------------------+
| Cody Harris      | Signed with GnuPG signature |
| KeyID: 610031E2A | vectec.net/~cody/key.asc    |

Re: [users@httpd] troubleshooting httpd performance

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.
> Is there a way to troubleshoot where performance
> bottlenecks may be occurring with httpd? Such as some
> module such as mod_rewrite? Can you print out what
> files httpd is currently serving?
>
> Starting a couple days ago, it's as if my CPU has been
> replaced with one far less powerful. Just about
> everything hits the CPU hard. All httpd processes show
> 1-3% CPU each and there's usually a few with 20-50%
> CPU each. Before, it seemed most httpd processes were
> 0%, with a few using maybe 5-20%. Other programs suck
> up CPU too and are a great deal slower: ps, ls, su,
> mysql, bzip2, ... I haven't changed anything on the
> server in the past while - except for minor HTML
> editing.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what the problem may be?
> Since I really haven't changed anything on the server,
> I'm led to believe it might be hardware slowly failing
> (it does seem to be getting worse) - failing hard

Wild guess at hardware problem, since you mention other applications system
wide are suffering as well.  Maybe there's some thermal issues?  Can you
check your system's CPU temperature status?  Have you had any unexplained
reboots, or system lockups?  CPU or case or power supply fan(s) dead?

> drive? Or maybe it needs defregging (is there a
> defragger for linux?)?

There is (or was at one time) an ext2fs defragmenter, but it's use was
highly discouraged, as ext2fs does a pretty good job of maintaining itself,
and the utility was only for testing, and could potentially blow up your
disk.  ^^  Although sometimes it would be handy to have a defragmenter.

Leif