Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Alex Dzhagriev <dz...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/23 15:49:00 UTC

reasonable number of executors

Hello all,

Can someone please advise me on the pros and cons on how to allocate the
resources: many small heap machines with 1 core or few machines with big
heaps and many cores? I'm sure that depends on the data flow and there is
no best practise solution. E.g. with bigger heap I can perform map-side
join with bigger table. What other considerations should I keep in mind in
order to choose the right configuration?

Thanks, Alex.

Re: reasonable number of executors

Posted by Alex Dzhagriev <dz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Igor,

That's a great talk and an exact answer to my question. Thank you.

Cheers, Alex.

Posted by Igor Berman <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jorge Machado <jo...@me.com>.
Hi Alex,

take a look here :
https://blogs.aws.amazon.com/bigdata/post/Tx3RD6EISZGHQ1C/The-Impact-of-Using-Latest-Generation-Instances-for-Your-Amazon-EMR-Job <https://blogs.aws.amazon.com/bigdata/post/Tx3RD6EISZGHQ1C/The-Impact-of-Using-Latest-Generation-Instances-for-Your-Amazon-EMR-Job>

Basically it depends of your type of workload. Will you need Cache ?

Jorge Machado
www.jmachado.me