Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John <fe...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/19 04:08:00 UTC

trunk, branches, tags

All the websites I've seen that describe how to setup a subversion
repo more or less suggest that for some project, say projectX, it is
best to create three directories:  projectX/branches, projectX/trunk
and projectX/tags.

Then, it is suggested to move all the source files to projectX/trunk
and then from in the projectX directory
executing "svn import . https://...".

Is the name "trunk" specially reserved?  Could I instead of "trunk"
use "src" or something else, or will that break things?

Thanks

Re: trunk, branches, tags

Posted by Norbert Unterberg <ne...@gmx.net>.
John schrieb:

> Is the name "trunk" specially reserved?  Could I instead of "trunk"
> use "src" or something else, or will that break things?

These names are not reserved, the trung/branches/tags tree structure is
something like a "best practices" suggestion, a convention used by most
repositories.

However, there may be clients around that attach some additional meaning
to these names. AFAIK, the TortoiseSVN windows client issues a warning
when you try to commit something to a path that contains "tags".

Norbert