Posted to user@ant.apache.org by meher03 <me...@hotmail.com> on 2009/02/19 18:19:14 UTC

Ant version for linux

Hi all,

Qs: Will Ant 1.7.1 binary downloaded from the Apache ant website work on
linux box.

I did a uname -a on the linux box to get its info

Linux dalesb 2.6.9-78.ELxenU #1 SMP Wed Jul 9 16:21:57 EDT 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The reason I am asking is because, i installed ant in the linux box in
/app/ant

Then cd to /app/ant/bin and ran the command ./ant -version

The following is the output :
dalesbdev03::/app/ant/bin-> ./ant -version
java version "1.4.2"
gcj (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)

The above does not show which version of ant is running ... Is the above
output correct .. Am i supposed to be seeing something else or something
more which would gib=ve me the version on ant that is running ..

Please help

Thank YOu

Re: Ant version for linux

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-19, meher03 <me...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Qs: Will Ant 1.7.1 binary downloaded from the Apache ant website work on
> linux box.

as a blanket question, the blanket answer is YES.

Ant is way more dependent on the Java VM that is executing it than the
operation system and there are many JVMs available for Linux that are
known to work well for Ant.  This includes all Sun VMs (version 1.3.x
or higher required for Ant), IBM's VMs, OpenJDK and Iced Tea - I'm not
sure about the state of Apache Harmony (note I'm using "Java VM" in a
loose technical not in a legal way since neither Iced Tea nor Harmony
could call themselves "Java" AFAIK).

> The following is the output :
> dalesbdev03::/app/ant/bin-> ./ant -version
> java version "1.4.2"
> gcj (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)

gcj is not a primary target for Ant.  If we receive patches to make
Ant work better on gcj, we apply them, but it may cause trouble
in unexpected ways.  I recommend turning to a different VM - in case
you prefer a "free" as in FSF's definition VM take a look at OpenJDK
or Iced Tea.

http://openjdk.java.net/
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk6/
http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Main_Page

> The above does not show which version of ant is running ...

It would if you didn't use gcj.

Stefan

Re: Ant version for linux

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Ant is actually a Java application and will run on ANY system that runs Java.

The "ant" command itself is a shell script that runs the Ant java
program under your Java interpreter. A ant.bat script does the same
thing for Windows.

The output of the command you show is the output of the "java
-version" command.

Try running "ant --execdebug -version" and see what you get as output.

It should look something like this:

exec "/usr/bin/java" -classpath "/usr/share/ant/lib/ant-launcher.jar"
-Dant.home="/usr/share/ant" -Dant.library.dir="/usr/share/ant/lib"
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher -cp "" "-version"
Apache Ant version 1.7.1 compiled on June 27 2008

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:19 PM, meher03 <me...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Qs: Will Ant 1.7.1 binary downloaded from the Apache ant website work on
> linux box.
>
> I did a uname -a on the linux box to get its info
>
> Linux dalesb 2.6.9-78.ELxenU #1 SMP Wed Jul 9 16:21:57 EDT 2008 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> The reason I am asking is because, i installed ant in the linux box in
> /app/ant
>
> Then cd to /app/ant/bin and ran the command ./ant -version
>
> The following is the output :
> dalesbdev03::/app/ant/bin-> ./ant -version
> java version "1.4.2"
> gcj (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)
>
> The above does not show which version of ant is running ... Is the above
> output correct .. Am i supposed to be seeing something else or something
> more which would gib=ve me the version on ant that is running ..
>
> Please help
>
> Thank YOu

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com