Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by "Venkatasamy, Vanitha" <Va...@xpandcorp.com> on 2012/03/22 16:47:10 UTC

Log4Net for Windows 2008 64bit machine

Hi All ,

   We are planning to move the application having log4net code to a  windows 2008 64bit machine. The application uses a dll ,which has the log4net error logging code with below dll's referenced in there

using log4net;
using log4net.Config;

and I am using EventLogAppender, RollingFileAppender and custom sendAlertAppender.MultiThresholdNotifyingAppender,sendAlertAppender .

Please let me know ,whether it's going to be any issue .

Thanks,
Vanitha

________________________________

This message contains Devin Group confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail in error and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed secure, error-free and information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late, incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as result of transmission. If verification is required please request hard-copy version.

RE: Log4Net for Windows 2008 64bit machine

Posted by Martin Milan <Ma...@enservegroup.com>.
Vanitha - and when I said GAC, I of course meant the Framework CLR
libraries. Anything you / third party have put in the GAC and referred
to from your app would still have to be recompiled, but the Framework
classes themselves will be fine.

Posted by Martin Milan <Ma...@enservegroup.com>.
That's my understanding of it...

There will be certain deployment issues to be considered-  for instance on a 64 bit machine, 32 bit software will be installed into a Program Files x86 folder, but other than that you shouldn't really have any problem.

I often create (and run) bits and pieces on my home system (64 bit), compiled as 32 bit, and run them perfectly satisfactorily on work's 32 bit system without any issue...

Martin.

Posted by Todd <to...@yahoo.com>.
I can pretty much garantee that you want the AnyCPU configuration. It's all meta data. When you compile, you end up with MSIL, which is later compiled on demand when executed, as most appropriate for the executing environment. There is rarely a reason to target bitness. Until we upgraded out dev box, it was 32-bit, while test/prod were 64-bit. The same binaries are used in all.

________________________________

--
Damien CAROL
·         tél : +33 (0)4 74 96 88 14

________________________________

·         email : dcarol@blitzbs.com<ma...@blitzbs.com>

[cid:image001.png@01CD082C.B0AC2F70]BLITZ BUSINESS SERVICE

________________________________

Posted by Damien Carol <dc...@blitzbs.com>.
Dear Vanitha,

Posted by "Venkatasamy, Vanitha" <Va...@xpandcorp.com>.
Hi All,
  Without any problem ,I am able to implement the log4Net in Windows 2008 64 bit machine. I have to run a .exe to register the dll and create the event log in the server ,which required me to "Run as administrator" . Other than that no major issues.

Thank you for the solutions.

If you asking just about log4net, it should not be problem - log4net has no special DLL for 32 and 64 bit environment, so you can use it in both 32 and 64 bit applications. If you ask about YOUR application, it depends what your application uses. If it is pure .NET application which do not use COM object or external flat 32 bit DLLs, compiling with Any CPU configuration is the best option.
If you rely on COM or external 32 bit DLLs, compile with x86 configuration, then it will run as 32bit.
And if you have web application compiled as x86, you must allow 32bit execution in application pool settings (create new pool for this application)
Radovan Raszka