Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "giovanni.bricconi@banzai.it" <gi...@banzai.it> on 2012/08/09 12:02:19 UTC

near realtime search and dih

I would like to understand if  near realtime search is applicable to my
configuration, or if I should change the way I load data.

Currently my application uses data import handler to load new documents
every 15 minutes. This is acceptable, but  it would be interesting to
bring online some changes within a minute.

Is it possible to configure the DIH to run in soft commit mode? if not,
is it possible to use the update handler to made changes with soft
commit and still use the dih to load other changes and commit modifications?

I have a replica of this core, soft commited data gets replicated too or
should I send soft updates to both the servers?

I have just updated to solr4 alpha.

thanks

Giovanni

Re: near realtime search and dih

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Not sure what options DiH has in terms of controlling params - but at the least you could add an update proc that added a commitWithin param. commitWithin is a soft commit on Solr 4.

You could also use autoSoftCommit and set it to n seconds.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.
Master-Slave architectures don't get along very well with NRT. One minute
may be achieved if your index is small and you don't have many updates per
minute, but in other case, I would go with Solr Cloud and distributed
indexing (you can run DIH in one of the nodes and every document will be
indexed in both replicas at the same time).
I don't know if you can configure DIH to use soft commits, but you could
use autosoftcommit.
While I was testing DIH + Solr Cloud I had some memory issues, those were
solved with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3658 but the fix is
not in the ALPHA, you should get a more recent revision (or wait for the
BETA).

Tomás