Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com> on 2012/12/10 19:00:14 UTC

CONFIG::performanceInstrumentation / PerfUtil?

> I think it was a plug-in that fed results to a reporting infrastructure.
I'm not so sure we need it but we could try to get it donated.

I comeback on that because it would be nice to be able to test the perfs on
parts of the framework but I noticed that not all the framework/tests
directory has been donated and notably, the performance one.

Will it be donated ?

- Fred

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

> If we see activity in that area, then we can decide on whether it will be
less time to create our own perf suite within the constraints of Apache or
go through the hassle of getting these tests donated and separated from
their server dependencies.

I can only try to figure out how it is a painfull work, but I trust you :)
The point creating our own perf suite is to not enter in a legal problem if
we use an approach in something similar at the Adobe's one.

> AFAIK, ASF does not supply separate servers.  Everything is shared.  I'm
seriously considering buying my own computers to run CI.

Funny, I've got 3 computers at home and tought the same thing.

We burned out at least two engineers trying to create an automated perf
suite.  I was not involved.  But from the email trail, it was not a smooth
process.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I don't know what kinds of changes folks have planned for the current Flex
SDK code, but other than the CSS perf fix, I haven't seen too many other
things that would make getting this stuff through an audit a priority.

The problem with any perf suite that runs on people's computers is the
possibility of variances between runs that are unrelated to the code
changes.  I think we had a dedicated sandboxed computer for official testing
at Adobe.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.