Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Geoghegan, James (CSS)" <Ja...@capita.co.uk> on 2006/06/07 17:15:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2 variable was undefined warning message

Can anyone help with the following?

After editing the httpd.conf file of an Apache2 http installation to add
the environment variables:

setenv DIRECT_SYSTEM /apps/CapitaDirect/System

setenv DIRECT_TEMPLATE /apps/CapitaDirect/Template

passenv DIRECT_SYSTEM

passenv DIRECT_TEMPLATE

I then used "/usr/apache2/bin/apachectl start" to start the httpd
server, but got a warning message for each variable:

[Wed Jun 07 16:07:20 2006] [warn] PassEnv variable DIRECT_SYSTEM was
undefined

[Wed Jun 07 16:07:20 2006] [warn] PassEnv variable DIRECT_TEMPLATE was
undefined

Syntax OK

..and the httpd server did not start. I have found lots of reports of
this using Google, but no-one seems to know the solution. Does anybody
here know how to resolve this?

This works ok on earlier versions of Apache http.

Regards

James Geoghegan

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 variable was undefined warning message

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/7/06, Geoghegan, James (CSS) <Ja...@capita.co.uk> wrote:

> setenv DIRECT_SYSTEM /apps/CapitaDirect/System
>
> setenv DIRECT_TEMPLATE /apps/CapitaDirect/Template
>
> passenv DIRECT_SYSTEM
>
> passenv DIRECT_TEMPLATE

This doesn't make sense.  Setenv is used to set new variables that
apache will pass to cgi scripts.  Passenv is used to take env
variables that were set in the shell that started apache and pass them
along to cgi scripts.  You would never want to use both for the same
variable.

> ..and the httpd server did not start. I have found lots of reports of this
> using Google, but no-one seems to know the solution. Does anybody here know
> how to resolve this?

The fact that the server did not start is possibly unrelated.  The
messages you quoted were only warnings.  Was there anything else in
the error log?

Joshua.