Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2020/08/22 17:14:16 UTC

Log4cxx version

In looking at the log4cxx changelog I can’t help notice that the first release was 17 years ago. After all these years one would expect that the version should have hit 1.0.0 at least 10-15 years ago. Isn’t it time to correct that?

Ralph

Re: Log4cxx version

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
That is for those involved in the C++ development to decide but I would wonder
a) Besides updating the compiler are there other architectural improvements that should be made.
b) How much will the code diverge - would it be possible to share the code that is in common somehow or would that just get very messy?
c) What percentage of users are using the older compiler vs the newer?  In Log4j’s case we continued to support older versions of Java until we saw usage of the version of Java drop below 10% or so.
d) Will versions of log4cxx created with the older version be incompatible with newer versions or lack significant capabilities at some point?

Ralph

Re: Log4cxx version

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Since there's no central repository of C++ libraries (or C, or several
other languages for that matter; Rust providing one is a nice change
of pace), it'll be fairly difficult to get real usage stats about what
minimum compiler versions and such are still in use out there. Now I
know it's not the "oldest" thing out there, but I typically defer to
whatever is in Debian Stable (and maybe even RHEL sometimes, but
they're super ancient) for an idea of what's a safe baseline. In this
case, I see https://packages.debian.org/buster/liblog4cxx10v5 which is
using a fairly old libstdc++6 (>= 5.2) whereas Buster seems to package
a much more recent version (8.x).

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Log4cxx version