Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1995/10/25 23:01:52 UTC

Compatibility (was Re: Bug ?in Apache 0.8.14)

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> This has happened before, re: the #include file/virtual stuff from last week.
> A non NCSA compatible behaviour was introduced pre 0.6.5 and noone noticed it,
> and the problem found its way into the post-Shambahla relases too, and noone
> noticed until last week.
>
> It seems to be a choice between:
>
> 1)	staying NCSA 1.3 compatible and enforcing a stricter interpretation
> 	than Apache currently observes, and in the process risk alienating
> 	users of newer Apache servers who've:
> 	a)	discovered the 'new' functionality
> 	b)	are making active use of that functionality
>
> OR
>
> 2)	just not caring and dealing with problems when NCSA 1.3 users switch to
> 	Apache and find all their mission critical legacy code crashing about
> 	their ears.
> 		[like we say they can do with no problems]

There is a 3): provide a document which describes how to move to using
DBM files for users and groups, and provide a script which converts
legacy setups to the DBM format.  Perhaps Mark (m.j.cox@bradford.ac.uk,
introducer of the DBM group patch, could write it up - I don't understand
the group mods.  I think this is less likely to cause problems than the
large patch that was posted, unless others look at it and are convinced
it would be stable.

The documentation for DBM groups could use work, no argument there.

	Brian