Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2008/05/29 01:58:32 UTC

[OT]Einstein was right ...

.. when he said that two things were infinite :
- the Universe,
- human stupidity

But he added that he doubts that the first assertion was right.
Regardless, the second one seems to be correct :

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7035846/claims.html
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7315854.html

How possibly some idiots can patent such an incredibly piece of garbage ???

So pathetic ...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [OT]Einstein was right ...

Posted by Howard Chu <hy...@symas.com>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Howard Chu wrote:
>> I don't
>> believe in software patents though; this is all pretty stupid.
> This was my point.

Cool.

>> The second patent is essentially one step beyond syncrepl and other
>> similar replication mechanisms that have existed for many years. We've
>> had partial and fractional replication for ages. The difference that I
>> see here is that he's using query containment to decide to return a
>> referral to the master server, when a searched-for entry isn't present
>> in the replica. In our current implementations, if you ran such a
>> query against a partial replica, you'd just get no result back for the
>> missing entries. As patents go, it follows the standard formula - add
>> one step to an existing well known process and presto, you've invented
>> something new. Whether it's actually useful or not is a different
>> question - IMO, anything that relies on LDAP referrals is
>> fundamentally flawed anyway.
> Thanks for the insight Howard !

I would expect the above patent to fail the obviousness test, if nothing else.
Or perhaps I should now file a new patent on all of the above, adding in the
use of chaining instead of returning a referral back to the client, since
that's always my preferred method for distributed operation. Given the crap
that gets granted these days, it would probably fly too.

> I have some friends working in big telco companies, and they told me
> that their boni was partly based on the number of patents they register.
> This clearly leads to a ridiculous patent race.

Yep. Same in a lot of places; same when I worked at Locus and PLATINUM.
Somewhat the same at JPL, though as a government employee we couldn't actually
get patents. But we still got bonuses for publishing inventions...

> We see the very same thing happening in the research area : if you don't
> publish, you don't exist. Thanks god, Ig Nobel has been created to grant
> the most stupid research papers... (have a look at this paper :
> http://www.sunshine-project.org/incapacitants/jnlwdpdf/wpafbchem.pdf.
> Top of page 2 is simply hilarious :)

Sigh. Our tax dollars at work...

--
   -- Howard Chu

Re: [OT]Einstein was right ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Howard Chu wrote:

> I wouldn't call query containment "garbage" -
Garbage = to patent something which is prior art :)
> LDAP search queries can be pretty complex, and it certainly takes some
> thinking to get caching right. Give credit where it's due. I don't
> believe in software patents though; this is all pretty stupid.
This was my point.
> And of course, Apurva's original implementation was pretty atrocious;
> I had to rewrite about 95% of it before it would offer any performance
> benefit over no cache at all.
:)

Re: [OT]Einstein was right ...

Posted by Howard Chu <hy...@symas.com>.
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> .. when he said that two things were infinite :
>> - the Universe,
>> - human stupidity
>>
>> But he added that he doubts that the first assertion was right.
>> Regardless, the second one seems to be correct :
>>
>> http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7035846/claims.html
>> http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7315854.html
>>
>> How possibly some idiots can patent such an incredibly piece of garbage ???
>
> Prior art kills patents.
>
> Both caching and reverse proxying have well documented prior art in
> httpd going to before 1999 (when I first got involved with it). It would
> have to be determined whether HTTP and LDAP differ enough to argue that
> the work is original. (Both HTTP and LDAP are request response protocols
> where an end user makes a request for information and receives a response.)
>
> Alternatively, I am sure that Sun produced an LDAP proxy server capable
> of doing directory aggregation about a decade ago, may be good to check.
> Anyone remember?

Sun didn't have one back then. I wrote back-ldap for OpenLDAP in 1998 though;
that was my first contribution to OpenLDAP in fact. The rest of the world
wasn't even thinking about LDAP proxy servers at the time, they were too busy
building LDAP islands that didn't talk to each other.

I would say that the technique used to perform LDAP query containment was
interesting and certainly novel, wrt to HTTP. But the problem with this patent
is that it was granted in 2006, and we had already implemented this in
OpenLDAP in 2002.

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200209/msg00013.html

Apurva Kumar, who developed the first version of the OpenLDAP code, is also
the inventor on both of the above patents. Since he's an IBM employee, it's
not surprising that he would have applied for patents (in general), since
that's common practice at IBM. But someone ought to have told him that once an
invention has been shared with the world, it is no longer patentable.

I wouldn't call query containment "garbage" - LDAP search queries can be
pretty complex, and it certainly takes some thinking to get caching right.
Give credit where it's due. I don't believe in software patents though; this
is all pretty stupid. And of course, Apurva's original implementation was
pretty atrocious; I had to rewrite about 95% of it before it would offer any
performance benefit over no cache at all.

The other thing about patents is you used to have to submit an implementation
along with the app; i.e., you can't just concoct an idea and send it in. You
have to demonstrate that the idea is practical in the real world. And, you're
supposed to submit the best possible embodiment of the idea. If he used his
original OpenLDAP contribution in the patent app, it's clear that it was
nowhere near the best possible embodiment. Oh well.

Re: [OT]Einstein was right ...

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> .. when he said that two things were infinite :
> - the Universe,
> - human stupidity
>
> But he added that he doubts that the first assertion was right.
> Regardless, the second one seems to be correct :
>
> http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7035846/claims.html
> http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7315854.html
>
> How possibly some idiots can patent such an incredibly piece of garbage ???

Prior art kills patents.

Both caching and reverse proxying have well documented prior art in
httpd going to before 1999 (when I first got involved with it). It would
have to be determined whether HTTP and LDAP differ enough to argue that
the work is original. (Both HTTP and LDAP are request response protocols
where an end user makes a request for information and receives a response.)

Alternatively, I am sure that Sun produced an LDAP proxy server capable
of doing directory aggregation about a decade ago, may be good to check.
Anyone remember?

Regards,
Graham