Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com> on 2016/10/05 20:07:14 UTC

Drop support for VS2013 in REEF.NET

Hi,

We've added support for building REEF.NET in VS2015 half a year ago. Originally  we intended for it to replace VS2013, but since we've found a way to support building REEF in both VS2013 and VS2015 we allowed the two to coexist peacefully.

I feel that support for both VS2015 and VS2013 is inconvenient in the long term. We can't benefit from new features in C# 6 and .NET 4.6 as long as we must provide compatibility with old runtime.

Let's discuss whether it's possible to drop support for VS2013 and what work is required.

-          We need to make sure all clusters which run REEF-based jobs have .NET 4.6 framework installed.

-          Our build tools need to be updated to support C# 6. For example, StyleCop treats some C# 6 features as violations even when building with VS2015.

We should also create an AppVeyor flavor that would run CI using VS2013 to ensure this compatibility while we need it. Right now our CI doesn't detect build failures in VS2013.

-Mariia

Re: Drop support for VS2013 in REEF.NET

Posted by Boris Shulman <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yes. It should be possible.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Boris Shulman <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yes. Once it will be deployed on Azure PaaS VMs by default. I assume sometimes till end of this year.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Boris Shulman <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Boris Shulman <sh...@gmail.com>.
We can move to VS2015, but still use VS2013 compiler for example and
compile with .NET 4.5. My concerns regarding .NET 4.6 still exist.

Boris.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.