Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/30 16:46:14 UTC

Other file systems for hadoop

what are the minimal requirements to implement the filesystem interface for
hdfs?

I was thinking it might be cool to directly implement a 100% memory
filesystem, just for the hell of it - for fast unit tests, that simulated
lookups and stuff.

So - if the interface is abstract and decoupled enough from any real world
filesystem, i think this could definetly work.

--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

Re: Other file systems for hadoop

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Jay,

We used to carry (and formerly, use) an InMemoryFileSystem
implementation (its still around as deprecated in the maintenance 1.x
release line: http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/InMemoryFileSystem.html).

The interface for writing FileSystems is indeed decoupled from "any
real world filesystem" so let your imagination run wild.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what are the minimal requirements to implement the filesystem interface for
> hdfs?
>
> I was thinking it might be cool to directly implement a 100% memory
> filesystem, just for the hell of it - for fast unit tests, that simulated
> lookups and stuff.
>
> So - if the interface is abstract and decoupled enough from any real world
> filesystem, i think this could definetly work.
>
> --
> Jay Vyas
> http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

--