Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Kumar Pankaj <Pa...@drei.com> on 2004/01/04 11:35:59 UTC

compare XML file and generate a differential XML file

Hi,

I want to create a differential XML file out of two XML files. I believe i would have to use some Object Model to generate object tree out of both XMLs
and then compare them to find the difference and write out the differential XML.

Now my question :-)) (thanks for reading till now), Whats the best way of doing this ?? Any experienced hand on this, pls reply.
What kind of object model would be good. Is there any standard object model that can be used ??

Any other information or ideas. Please mail

Thanks,
Pankaj

Re: compare XML file and generate a differential XML file

Posted by Thomas Plümpe <th...@gmx.de>.
> I want to create a differential XML file out of two XML files. I believe i would have to use some Object Model to generate object tree out of both XMLs
> and then compare them to find the difference and write out the differential XML.
You should probably ask this question on a Java and/or XML developer
list/newsgroup.

Anyway, are you sure you want to do this yourself? It's a problem that
requires quite a bit of thought/effort/time and there are several tools
available (just search for "xmldiff", "xml diff", "diff xml" and throw a
"java" in here or there), e.g.
  http://www.logilab.org/projects/xmldiff (Python),
  http://www.vmguys.com/vmtools/ (JDOM, open source), and
  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~yuanwang/xdiff.html (Xerces2-J, open source).

In certain cases pretty printing the XML and doing a normal text diff
with jrcs may also be sufficient:
  http://www.suigeneris.org/jrcs/

Please let me know which of the tools you find helpful should you get
around to try them.

Thomas