Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Philip Tomlinson <ph...@pot.co.nz> on 2006/03/29 12:39:20 UTC

Wildcard MX

Hi,

I have a question about wildcard MX DNS addressing.

I got my ISP to set up a wildcard DNS MX entry for me.
Consequently I can now ping anything.anything.pot.co.nz.
I can also send emails from Yahoo mail to any subdomain of my domain and
they are happily fetched by james fetchmail.
However when I send from Google mail I get the error.

-----------------

phil@anything.pot.co.nz <ma...@pot.co.nz.remindme.pot.co.nz>

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550-zproxy.gmail.com
<http://550-zproxy.gmail.com> [64.233.162.197 <http://64.233.162.197>]
is currently not permitted to relay
550-through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap
server
550-in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on
in your
550 email client.
------------------

Would anyone know why gmail would not be permitting this email to relay?

Rgds,
Phil

-------------------------
Philip Tomlinson
PJT Consulting
Email: phil@pot.co.nz

Re: Wildcard MX

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Philip Tomlinson wrote:
> I got my ISP to set up a wildcard DNS MX entry for me.
> Consequently I can now ping anything.anything.pot.co.nz.

Ping and MX DNS entries are totally unrelated.
you "consequently" doesn't seem appropriate.

> I can also send emails from Yahoo mail to any subdomain of my domain and
> they are happily fetched by james fetchmail.
> However when I send from Google mail I get the error.

Where James is involved in the relay problem from google to your pop?

> -----------------
> Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
>
> phil@anything.pot.co.nz <ma...@pot.co.nz.remindme.pot.co.nz>
>
> Technical details of permanent failure:
> PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550-zproxy.gmail.com
> <http://550-zproxy.gmail.com> [64.233.162.197 <http://64.233.162.197>]
> is currently not permitted to relay
> 550-through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap
> server
> 550-in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on
> in your
> 550 email client.
>
> Would anyone know why gmail would not be permitting this email to relay?

The error seems explicit: "Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap
   server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication
turned on in your email client.".

If understand your problem, James is not involved at all in your relay
problem. If you have further problems you should post them to a gmail
group/forum/list.

Stefano