Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Blomstrom <Ge...@geobop.com> on 2003/07/21 02:08:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Starting Apache

I figured out how to uininstall IIS, then I uninstalled Apache, deleted the
remaining Apache folders, then restarted my computer and reinstalled
Apache. I started Apache, typed in http://localhost:8080 - and it works!

However, I have one more question - what's the proper way to start Apache?

When I click Start (Programs), I find two listings for Apache - Apache HTTP and
Apache HTTP Server 2.0.47. Two items are listed under the first:

Configure Apache Server
Review Server Logs

The second lists these items:

Configure
Control
Review

One of the options under Control is "Start Apache in Console." I clicked
it, and it works, but it seems like a somewhat clumsy way of starting it.

I checked out some support documents and read that Apache is normally run
as a "service" under Windows XP (my OS) and as a "console" under something
else. So am I on the right track - I need to change it from a console to a
service?

RE: [users@httpd] Starting Apache

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
Apache -k install from the command line should install the apache as a
system service
Apache -k uninstall, removes it, abviously
Apache -t = check config
Apache -k runservice or
Apache -k start\stop = controls the apache service.
For more hints: apache -h

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com