Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/06 16:46:11 UTC

Re: Detecting data loss

A server doesn't know which of the operations in its log were
committed, and so can't say whether truncating the log is something
that resulted from normal operation or from some failure.

Truncating the log is often normal - suppose that A is the leader and
receives 10 operations from some client to propose, but looses
leadership because of temporary network problems. Then B talks with C
and becomes the leader, and neither B nor C know of the new 10
operations, which is ok. Then A reconnects back to B and C and at this
point A's log gets truncated, to match that of B and C.

We could detect a problem if we'd stored the last committed operation
id on disk, so truncating beyond that id is obviously wrong. But that
would not always work, because a server may miss a few last commit
messages (its a quorum protocol). It may be better than nothing
though.

Alex