Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Szűcs Roland <sz...@bookandwalk.hu> on 2023/06/30 09:06:03 UTC

Solr restart on Ubuntu is not "smooth"

I installed the latest Solr on the lates Ubuntu OS by the production script
based on the documentation. I did not customized anything during the
installation process. I managed to create a core.

Anytime I try to restart Solr (which runs as a background service), I got
the following error:
*sudo -su solr /opt/solr/bin/solr restart*
[sudo] password for roland:
*** [WARN] ***  Your Max Processes Limit is currently 31436.
 It should be set to 65000 to avoid operational disruption.
 If you no longer wish to see this warning, set SOLR_ULIMIT_CHECKS to false
in your profile or solr.in.sh
Sending stop command to Solr running on port 8983 ... waiting up to 180
seconds to allow Jetty process 1103 to stop gracefully.
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /home/roland/Documents/bnw/start.ini
        at
java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:90)
        at
java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:111)
        at
java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:116)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.UnixPath.toRealPath(UnixPath.java:860)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.start.config.DirConfigSource.<init>(DirConfigSource.java:109)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.start.config.JettyBaseConfigSource.<init>(JettyBaseConfigSource.java:29)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.start.BaseHome.<init>(BaseHome.java:137)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.processCommandLine(Main.java:296)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.start.Main.main(Main.java:74)

Usage: java -jar $JETTY_HOME/start.jar [options] [properties] [configs]
       java -jar $JETTY_HOME/start.jar --help  # for more information
My questions:
1. Why Solr looks for start.ini file in the directory the *sudo -su solr
/opt/solr/bin/solr restart *was executed and how can I solve it?
2. The max processes and and max files generated a warning. I put two lines
into /etc/security/limits.conf:
solr     soft    nofile   65000
solr     soft    nproc   65000
But still as you see the file related issue was solved but process related
issue was not.How an I fix it?

Thanks,
Roland

Re: Solr restart on Ubuntu is not "smooth"

Posted by Szűcs Roland <sz...@bookandwalk.hu>.
Thanks Jan,

Yes, I used the install_solr_service.sh script. I tried your advice and it
works very well without any warning.

Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. jún. 30., P,
13:35):

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.