Posted to user@roller.apache.org by jo...@johnmercier.com on 2009/12/20 04:17:56 UTC

Viewing categories

Hello everyone,

I'm slowly working on my own theme and I want to do a few things that I
can't figure out.

I was wondering if it is possible to filter out a category of entries from
the main weblog. I want to display that category in a separate template. I
also want to customize the _day template that the category page uses for
each day.

So, for example, I want to filter out all entries in the category "Main
Projects" from here

http://www.johnmercier.com/roller/

and only display that category here

http://www.johnmercier.com/roller/moaxcp/page/projects

and I want to customize the _day template to get rid of the header and
footer of the entry.

I hope this makes sense to everyone.

Thanks!

Re: Viewing categories

Posted by Horatia <ro...@gmx.info>.
Has no one an answer on this important question?

Horatia

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Re: Viewing categories

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:17 PM,  <jo...@johnmercier.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to filter out a category of entries from
> the main weblog. I want to display that category in a separate template. I
> also want to customize the _day template that the category page uses for
> each day.
>
> So, for example, I want to filter out all entries in the category "Main
> Projects" from here
>
> http://www.johnmercier.com/roller/
>
> and only display that category here
>
> http://www.johnmercier.com/roller/moaxcp/page/projects
>
> and I want to customize the _day template to get rid of the header and
> footer of the entry.

The macros that are built into Roller do not allow you to filter out a
category. So, if you want to do this you'll have to write a little
Velocity template code. Instead of using #showWeblogEntriesPager() you
would write some Velocity code.

For example, you might create a special day template that omits
entries in a filter category. Then use some code like this to invoke
it:

    ## get pager for entries specified by URL
    #set($pager = $model.getWeblogEntriesPager())

    ## get special day templaet
    #set($dayPage = $model.weblog.getPageByName("mySpecialDayTemplate"))

    ## get entries map
    #set($map = $pager.getEntries())

    ## foreach day of entries, run your day template
    #foreach($day in $map.keySet())
        #set($entries = $map.get($day))
        #parse($dayPage.id)
    #end