Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at> on 2003/02/13 17:02:23 UTC

[vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org

I would like to move the following packages to db.apache.org

o commons-sql
o commons-dbcp
o commons-dbutils

should we move them to db-commons or should they become db subprojects??

we can use irc.werken.com#db to discuss

martin

Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Robert Leland wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > Martin Poeschl wrote:
> >

> >>as the name indicates db.apache.org is for db related projects.
> >>the db project is new but people will look for db related stuff there
> >>and not at jakarta-commons .. so it makes sense to move the projects to
> >>db.apache.com
> >

> > And people who are already use it will look for it in jakarta-commons.
> >
> > I know tomcat uses ( and bundles ) commons-dbcp.jar, and I would preffer
> > it remains in jakarta-commons. For the others - I don't care.
>
> It seems keeping the package name org.apache.commond.dbcp is the most
> important, for now.
>
> Automatically redirecting the page
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp.html to
> db.apache.org/dbcp should be trasparent.

And how do you propose that email to Jakarta Commons Users/Dev be
redirected?

Hen

Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Robert Leland wrote:
>

>>Costin Manolache wrote:

> Again - why should we do this ?

I assume this was proposed to conform to the
Apache wide reorginization, that has been
happening over the last few months.
Organizing by functionality not by language.
Probably approved by a vote of PMC.

+1, I see it as opening our windows to let some
     fresh air, and ideas in.

Also look at:
http://commons.apache.org/

It look like there will be a reorganization
of all commons components.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

>Robert Leland wrote:
>

>>Costin Manolache wrote:

>>>And people who are already use it will look for it in jakarta-commons.

and will be redirected to the new site ;-)
most people look for torque at the turbine site...
most people look for ant at the jakarta site ...

it's good to cross-link the projects to make it easier to find them ...

>>>I know tomcat uses ( and bundles ) commons-dbcp.jar, and I would preffer
>>>it remains in jakarta-commons. For the others - I don't care.
>>>

>>It seems keeping the package name org.apache.commond.dbcp is the most
>>important, for now.
>>
>>Automatically redirecting the page
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp.html to
>>db.apache.org/dbcp should be trasparent.
>>

>Again - why should we do this ?
>
>At this moment I'm -1 for commons-dbcp.jar, and -0 on the others.
>Moving code for the sake of moving code is wrong - you won't increase
>the community or the quality of the code by moving it.

grouping projects by functionality is the right step to form new communities

>Since commons-dbcp.jar is used by at least one jakarta project - I need more
>arguments on the benefits of such a move.

it's also used by torque

The Jakarta Project creates and maintains open source solutions on the
Java platform for distribution to the public at no charge.

DB is a Project of the Apache Software Foundation
<http://db.apache.org/#Apache%20Software%20Foundation> , charged with
the creation and maintenance of commercial-quality, open-source,
database solutions based on software licensed to the Foundation, for
distribution at no charge to the public.

where would you go first if you are looking for a db connection pool????

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Robert Leland wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> Martin Poeschl wrote:
>>

>>>as the name indicates db.apache.org is for db related projects.
>>>the db project is new but people will look for db related stuff there
>>>and not at jakarta-commons .. so it makes sense to move the projects to
>>>db.apache.com
>>

>> And people who are already use it will look for it in jakarta-commons.
>>
>> I know tomcat uses ( and bundles ) commons-dbcp.jar, and I would preffer
>> it remains in jakarta-commons. For the others - I don't care.
>
> It seems keeping the package name org.apache.commond.dbcp is the most
> important, for now.
>
> Automatically redirecting the page
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp.html to
> db.apache.org/dbcp should be trasparent.

Again - why should we do this ?

At this moment I'm -1 for commons-dbcp.jar, and -0 on the others.
Moving code for the sake of moving code is wrong - you won't increase
the community or the quality of the code by moving it.

Since commons-dbcp.jar is used by at least one jakarta project - I need more
arguments on the benefits of such a move.

Costin

Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Martin Poeschl wrote:
>

>>as the name indicates db.apache.org is for db related projects.
>>the db project is new but people will look for db related stuff there
>>and not at jakarta-commons .. so it makes sense to move the projects to
>>db.apache.com
>

> And people who are already use it will look for it in jakarta-commons.
>
> I know tomcat uses ( and bundles ) commons-dbcp.jar, and I would preffer
> it remains in jakarta-commons. For the others - I don't care.

It seems keeping the package name org.apache.commond.dbcp is the most
important, for now.

Automatically redirecting the page
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp.html to
db.apache.org/dbcp should be trasparent.

-Rob

Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.
I think link can be added from db.apache.org to commons-dbcp, I do not
think it is good idea to move  dbcp at this time, but I see no problems for
sandbox components, It can make them more public.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 11:59, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> What is the plan for existing committers on these packages?  Do they
> become committers on db as well?

Most certainly :-)

> > martin
> >

> Craig McClanahan

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Martin Poeschl wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:02:23 +0100
> From: Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>
> To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: [vote] moving commons-sql,
>      commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org
>
> I would like to move the following packages to db.apache.org
>
> o commons-sql
> o commons-dbcp
> o commons-dbutils
>
> should we move them to db-commons or should they become db subprojects??
>
> we can use irc.werken.com#db to discuss

What is the plan for existing committers on these packages?  Do they
become committers on db as well?

> martin

Craig McClanahan

Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 11:02, Martin Poeschl wrote:
> I would like to move the following packages to db.apache.org
>
> o commons-sql
> o commons-dbcp
> o commons-dbutils

+1

> should we move them to db-commons or should they become db subprojects??
>
> we can use irc.werken.com#db to discuss
>
> martin

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [vote] moving commons-sql, commons-dbcp and commons-dbutils to db.apache.org

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
i'm not a committer for any of these components but if they are going to
be moved, i'd much prefer them to be moved into db-commons rather than
making them db subprojects.

BTW if someone over in db-land wants to create a website, i'll gladly
create a link from the jakarta commons nav bar.

- robert