Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1999/02/26 01:27:46 UTC

manual-index-search

So we currently have two search systems on apache - the search.apache.org
portion and the "manual-index.cgi" that Ken created before the former was
in existance.  The only place that links to manual-index.cgi is the top
page of the manual.  I'd be eager to remove it if only to reduce
redundancy, I don't see anything that manual-index.cgi provides over
search.apache.org.  Comments?  Don't take it personally, Ken :)

	Brian

Re: manual-index-search

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.
On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > So we currently have two search systems on apache - the search.apache.org
> > portion and the "manual-index.cgi" that Ken created before the former was
> > in existance.  The only place that links to manual-index.cgi is the top
> > page of the manual.  I'd be eager to remove it if only to reduce
> > redundancy, I don't see anything that manual-index.cgi provides over
> > search.apache.org.  Comments?  Don't take it personally, Ken :)
>
> I have no objection -- except that I'd like to consider adapting
> it (the dumber one, mine ;-) to something that can be distributed
> as part of the kit.  We've received numerous requests for this,
> primarily from people who install into disconnected intranets,
> but I've never gotten around to doing anything about.  The
> biggest obstacle is that it's Perl-based, and would require
> the destination system to have: Perl, a known URI path to the
> docs, a known path to the script itself, and the appropriate
> AllowOverride settings.  But now that we're making install-time
> changes, this is probably a good opportunity for this.
>
> So +1 for having it off the Apache site, and +1 to munging
> it to work with a local installation.

OK, I'll move the manual-index script from the apache-site module to a new
dir called apache-1.3/htdocs/manual/search/.  Ken, if you want to commit
your mkindex script there, as well as a basic description of how to get it
to search your docs, that would probably be good enough.

I'm wary of putting too much into it, since there are other great search
engines out there.

	Brian

Re: manual-index-search

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

--
#ken	P-)}

Re: manual-index-search

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> So we currently have two search systems on apache - the search.apache.org
> portion and the "manual-index.cgi" that Ken created before the former was
> in existance.  The only place that links to manual-index.cgi is the top
> page of the manual.  I'd be eager to remove it if only to reduce
> redundancy, I don't see anything that manual-index.cgi provides over
> search.apache.org.  Comments?  Don't take it personally, Ken :)

Well.. it does; an option to limit your search to just the manual; and that
is valuable in itself. Could be remedied by adding a 'manual' (and FAQ
perhaps) to the pull down menu.

But why 'fix' something which is not broken ?

Dw.

RE: manual-index-search

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Brian Behlendorf:

>  So we currently have two search systems on apache - the search.apache.org
>  portion and the "manual-index.cgi" that Ken created before the former was
>  in existance.  The only place that links to manual-index.cgi is the top
>  page of the manual.  I'd be eager to remove it if only to reduce
>  redundancy, I don't see anything that manual-index.cgi provides over
>  search.apache.org.  Comments?  Don't take it personally, Ken :)

Go for it.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                  - Abandon the search for truth;
lars@hyperreal.org                 - settle for a good fantasy.