Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joseph Simmons <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/12 03:23:16 UTC

[users@httpd] mysql based authentication

I'm setting up a site that will have some access controls. I know that
user credentials can be held in a .htpasswd file, however I would like
to use a database, specifically a MySQL database, to hold user
credentials.
Is it possible to just setup a .htaccess that tells Apache to use a
database or are additional things needed, like a 3rd party module?
I have access to apache 1.3.37 and 2.2.8 .

Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] mysql based authentication

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Joseph Simmons wrote:

> I'm setting up a site that will have some access controls. I know that
> user credentials can be held in a .htpasswd file, however I would like
> to use a database, specifically a MySQL database, to hold user
> credentials.
> Is it possible to just setup a .htaccess that tells Apache to use a
> database or are additional things needed, like a 3rd party module?
> I have access to apache 1.3.37 and 2.2.8 .

It is not possible via .htaccess, you require the information in
httpd.conf (or some config file included from it)

With 2.2.8 you configure Apache with:  --with-mysql
and use the DBDriver mysql

If you want a fast 1,2,3 example of how to use MySQL auth see
http://kb.ausics.net/apache.php
Then you need to look at apache web site for detailed information on all
possible options.

--
Cheers
Res

I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.